Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port vs CC Classic Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have been looking at the port kits after picking up a couple of bottles of port from some of our local wineries. For those of you who have made either of these port kits what are your thoughts?

Is the La Bodega worth the extra $$$$ ?????

What about buying two batches so you wouldn't have to buy a 3 gallon carboy? Are there any unforeseen problems of making a double batch of something?

How long before it gets really good? The usual 1-2 years?

I have not personally made any as of yet but i would add that looking at the winemaker mag competition results it seems that rj spagnols and celler craft both received golds, and i did have a chance to taste the spagnols white chocolate port and it was fantastic!!!!!!! hope this helps.

You know with your own vineyard getting started various size carboys are always a great idea. So I think you should pick up 2 - 3 gallon carboys and buy one of each kit to compare.

ibglowin said:
Is the La Bodega worth the extra $$$$ ????

YEEESSSSSS!!!!!

The Bodega turns out incredible. I am a huge fan of Port. CC's is middle of the road, Bodega is incredible!!!

Not sure but that sounded like a vote for the La Bodega!
smiley36.gif

By gawd, if somone would send me a bottle of it I would vouch for it too
smiley36.gif

Save your money for the blackberry port (i hope those words are ok to say here considering the manufacturer and all.

If the blackberry is close to the CRP, it will be worth the money. just my two cents

I just started the MM La Bodega last Saturday - I think it's going to be very good.
I'm modifying it a bit with some tweaks I found on another forum.
It's smelling great and is now just about ready for the first racking.

ibglowin said:
What tweaks?

Inquiring minds want to know!
smiley23.gif

I'll see if I can find the thread that piqued my interest but here's what I'm going to try:
I added the mush from three ripened then frozen and thawed bananas to the fermenter bucket before I added the juice.
I added one Cabernet grape pack.
I also added about 3/4 Tbsp of Tartaric acid.
Original SG 1.124, re-hydrated and pitched, active fermentation in about 4 hours.
Chopped the raisins and added after 24 hours.
When it gets to SG 1.030 I'll add the yeast nutrient.
When it gets to SG 1.000 I'm going to rack to carboy and add 5 grams Biolees and put on the Oak chips and let it go to dry.
Then I'll rack and put it on a French Oak spiral for a few weeks.
At bottling time I'll add the Port essence pack.
I'm going to fortify to 20% abv using 3 cups of E&J VSOP Brandy and 3 cups 95% Everclear which I added Liquor Quik XO Brandy essence - at 20% abv I haven't decided yet whether or not I'll add the sorbate.
This is my plan - guess I'll see how it works, kinda of a big change from the instructions but so far it seems to be going well...

Oh - here's where I got the ideas:
http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?/topic/19356-mosti-mondiale-la-bodega-port-kit-gold-medal/

I'm curious what the ABV would be without your additions of the grape pack, brandy and everclear. Those 3 add about 8-9% alcohol (grape pack adds ~2-2.5%, brandy would add ~.5% and the everclear adds ~ 5.5-6%). I have not made the La Bodega, but I have made a couple of the other port kits, and at least one of them called for adding a pound of dextrose for chaptalisation (sp?) which would raise the alcohol level about 3-4%. If the La Bodega kit includes chaptalisation, your finished S.G. could be over 25%, possibly.

The higher alcohol level in port is essential for the flavor and sipping qualities, but it can be overdone, taking away from the enjoyment of an otherwise delicious treat. Not that I would ever make a mistake like that....
smiley24.gif

BartReeder said:
I'm curious what the ABV would be without your additions of the grape pack, brandy and everclear. Those 3 add about 8-9% alcohol (grape pack adds ~2-2.5%, brandy would add ~.5% and the everclear adds ~ 5.5-6%). I have not made the La Bodega, but I have made a couple of the other port kits, and at least one of them called for adding a pound of dextrose for chaptalisation (sp?) which would raise the alcohol level about 3-4%. If the La Bodega kit includes chaptalisation, your finished S.G. could be over 25%, possibly.

The higher alcohol level in port is essential for the flavor and sipping qualities, but it can be overdone, taking away from the enjoyment of an otherwise delicious treat. Not that I would ever make a mistake like that....
smiley24.gif

The specific gravity of the must after all the additions and prior to pitching the yeast was 1.124 that equates to ~16% potential alcohol if fermented to dry.

I wrote an excel spread sheet using adaptations of the formulas found here http://www.finevinewines.com/August_2009.html#LETTER.BLOCK9 to calculate the proper amounts of a 50/50 mix of Everclear and Brandy to achieve the desired abv.

I'm going to have to wait for the final SG reading before I actually determine what the proper fortification amounts will be.
I'm trying to target but not exceed 20%.

This is my first attempt at Port and I'm probably breaking all the rules by tweaking my first kit - but I guess I'll learn something either way....
smiley1.gif
smiley2.gif

The La Bodega does not need any tweeks! I got my medal for this kit by making it according the instructions. We also ran some tests using different fortifiers and different oaks. We noticed some slight differences, but the underlying wine kit did not change. I think you are going through a lot of extra work for very little benefit.

I agree with George on this one... Bodega is awesome made as is. Fortify it, and run it through a barrel is the only tweaks I did and it turned out awesome.

geocorn said:
The La Bodega does not need any tweeks! I got my medal for this kit by making it according the instructions. We also ran some tests using different fortifiers and different oaks. We noticed some slight differences, but the underlying wine kit did not change. I think you are going through a lot of extra work for very little benefit.

George, I appreciate your input!
Maybe I am making a mistake, don't know yet.....

I read that other guys thread and his comment that the La Bodega was more along the line of a "Late Bottle Vintage" port and he was trying to push it more toward the "Tawny Port" style with tweaks.

I'm also a Tawny Port kinda guy so I just thought I'd try his tweaks.

Anyway, so far it's going well - I guess time will tell....
smiley1.gif

For those of you who have made the La Bodega Port, what "style" would you say it makes for labeling purposes?

Ruby, Vintage, Tawny......

Trying to figure out what to put on a label at some point!

Latest posts

Back