Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we did steal a taste before adding the fortifiers and oak.
smiley9.gif

I was extremely pleased with the taste, aroma and alcohol content. In fact, I had about 2 glasses left which I will take home and share with my banker (the wife).

I believe this wine kit will be worth every cent. I could have bottled it as it was and not been dissapointed. I will add that my flavoring packs were syrupy and I had no sign of the coagulation that your kit had. I am thinking we need Mosti to fork over another kit for you. I know you have been working with them directly, but if you need my assitance, please ask. They seem to be very happy with me (more to come on that subject).

I hesitated on adding all of the flavoring, but after tasting the flavoring by itself, I decided it HAD to go in the port.

Waiting on this port is going to be extremely painful.

Just to add an additional note on the added flavor pack. Because of concerns of over-sweetening the Port, we added only half of the flavor pack then tasted. The wine was not overly sweet and we were going to proceed with this level of sweetness, until we checked the aroma and taste of the flavor pack. As George indicated, the flavors and aromas added were too good to leave out, so the entire flavor pack was added.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

This wine is very good right now. It will be interesting to see what it will be like after a few months aging on oak and a year or so in the bottle. Does George have the patience?

I'm glad you are trying this, and am very interested in the results. The very first port I ever had was a 1963 Sandeman (in 1976) and I have been spoiled ever since.

There is one way to get the brandy they use in Portugal - find out what grapes they use, make a similar kit, and distill it. I won't tell if you won't.
smiley36.gif

Why would EXPECT that PeterZ would know how to distill?

Just to be on the safe side, distillation of alcoholic spirits without a license is a BIG NO NO! It is not remotely legal, even for personal consumption. I know most of you know this, but to protect the Company's back side, I want to make sure everyone knows the Company's position regarding this subject. Please note that unlike some home beer stores, the Wine Maker's Story Store does not sell distillation equipment or dispense of distillation know how. Sorry for the legalese.

I started this port last night. It smells GUUUUD. I can't wait to add the raisins tonite. I have a tiny hole in the flavoring pack. I lost a couple of teaspoons. I'm not worried about the amount lost but am wondering it the flavoring pack will be ruined since it was open (ie will it oxidize or spoil)?

Coaster,

If you have a 1/2 gallon jug, I would recommend you transfer the flavoring pack to it. In the process, please taste it. If it is spoiled, you will notice and I will get you a replacement pouch. Let me know what you find out.

I to have started this kit. All I can recommend is that you check it daily after you start it. It is day 8 for me so I opened it up to check the SG to see if it was ready to rack to glass. Mine has already fermented to dry (0.096) in 8 days. I checked it twice with different hydrometers.The directions say fermentation is done at 1.000. I am going to go ahead and let it sit in glass and double check the SG tomorrow. I was just really surprised it was at that level already.

I transfered the sweetner to a 1/2g growler. Seemed sweet and sharp so I think it is ok. Thanks George.

Excellent Coaster. I will have to do 1 of these kits soon myself.

Edited by: wade

Mine dropped to 1.025 in 3 days. I had to rack because if I left it another 24 hours it would have been much lower than 1.020 and it's really hard to explain to your boss you have to stay home to rack the wine. Room temp was a constant 75. I wanted the yeast to eat more of the raisins. They were plump and whole when I pulled them out. I tasted one afterwards and it was flavorless except for the alcohol so maybe they got all they wanted from the raisins but next time I am going to chop them up. I filled a 11.5L carboy and a 750ml bottle. Both have airlocks and are waiting for day 20 to rack and add the "mulch" (as my wife likes to refer to this type of oak - as opposed to the "saw dust").

Next weekend will be 2 months since we added the oak, so Joseph and I will do a taste test. I wanted to taste today, but told me to be patient!

Joseph and I did a taste test on our experiment and all I can say is "WOW"! This port is outstanding with or without the oak, with or without the fortification. The only problem we will have is deciding which ones to enter into competition. I will definitely have some samples available at Winestock.

If you like port, this is worth every penny. I will be starting another batch real soon!

I have 1 on my wish list! I think my next order will be the Symphony and the Port, and maybe a Portuguese floor corker.

We finally bottled the LaBodega Port and Joseph, Mark, Janna and I were very impressed. I can hardily recommend this kit to anyone that likes port. Joseph summarized our findings:

On January 21, George and I started 6 gallons (two kits) of the Mosti Mondiale LaBodega Port Wine and fermented according to instructions. On March 10 the port was racked to seven one-gallon jugs. The experiment involved leaving some port unfortified and fortifying some with Everclear or Everclear and brandy. Additionally, some of the port was aged on French oak cubes and some received no oak.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
After 16 weeks of aging on oak, the port was bottled on June 30. The tasting occurred after the port had been racked and bottled. Although this racking ensured that the oak essence was thoroughly mixed through the wine, it resulted in bottle shock which caused the aroma and bouquet to go into hiding. They will return after a few months of bottle aging. The following are the notes for each of the seven ports tasted.

Unfortified, no oak, ABV 16%

This is the port you would get if you followed the instructions. The first impression was of sweetness, fruitiness and a faint hint of caramel. The wine has good body and was very smooth and well balanced. I believe that it will be ready to drink after two or three months bottle aging. If you want a good port and do not want to bother with fortification and adding oak, you will not be disappointed with this kit.

Unfortified, house toast French oak, ABV 16%

The oak seemed to bring the taste of the fruit forward and subdued the sweetness noticed in the version without oak. The port had good body and was well balanced. Although not now as smooth, this will happen as the oak integrates with the wine. I believe this will also be ready with two to three months bottle aging. You will be rewarded if you can wait longer.

Fortified with Everclear, no oak, ABV 20%

I could not get pass the overpowering sweetness to taste anything else in the wine. It was much sweeter than the unfortified port. I believe that the alcohol from the fortification contributed to the perception of sweetness. The port had good body and was smooth. There was no harshness or hotness from the alcohol. An addition of tartaric acid may have provided some acidity to balance the sweetness. Although I am not certain, nine months to a year in the bottle may improve this wine.

Fortified with Everclear, house toast French oak, ABV 20%

The addition of oak to this port subdued the sweetness and provided a very nice balance. The oak enhanced and brought out the fruit flavor and added a hint of vanilla. The wine has good body. There is a slight harshness due to the oak. I think with bottle age it will smooth out and the caramel and vanilla flavors will develop. I would bottle age this wine for nine months to a year before tasting again.

Fortified with Everclear and Brandy, no oak, ABV 20%

On first taste you could tell that brandy was used to fortify the wine. In subsequent tastes it was not so apparent. This wine was well balanced without the overpowering sweetness experienced by fortifying with Everclear only. The wine had good body. The brandy seemed to have given the wine a little bit of a rough edge that I would expect will disappear with nine months to a year of bottle aging.

Fortified with Everclear and Brandy, house toast French oak, ABV 20%

The oak masked the taste of the brandy and brought the fruit forward. This wine was well balanced and had good body. Both the brandy and the oak contributed to a slight roughness that should smooth with age. I would sample this one again after a year in the bottle.

Fortified with Everclear and Brandy, heavy toast French oak, ABV 18.5%

This was the Cinderella wine of the experiment. The gallon jug contained the remaining Everclear, the remaining port from the kit and enough brandy to top up. To make it completely different, heavy toast oak was used. The sweetness, acidity and alcohol were well balanced. The body was good. The heavy toast oak gave the wine a very smoky but not oaky flavor. There were faint hints of vanilla and chocolate. Because of the heavy smokiness, I believe it will take two years in the bottle to mellow to its potential.

Latest posts

Back