Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. You guys sure went all out on this one(ones)! I knew you varied it up, but this is impressive! They all sound scrumptious and I would like to try a batch some day. Thank you Joseph for the indepth tasting and write-up. Very good job indeed
smiley20.gif

Job well done as alawys! Thanks for sacrificing yourselves in the name of winemaking.
Edited by: wade

Excellent work and this type of info is priceless for those wishing to make this type of wine and make modifications!

This is terrible!
smiley6.gif
I've been so busy that I've had a hard time reading and enjoying this forum. Lately I've only been able to search for certain information that I needed to preparing some of my fruit wines. So,(shhh) I've been sneaking peaks during my work hours,
smiley9.gif
(on breaks/lunch of course), so I can enjoy what I've been missing. I'm glad to read this forum and have wondered about purchasing a Port wine for some time now, being a full bodied red wine drinker, I think this is something I should place in my wine rack. Great job and thanks!

George, try this. Figure the amount of grain alcohol you will be using to fortify with and soak raisins, dates and any other dryed dark fruits in the grain alcohol. You will want to start this right away to extract as much flavor as possible. I do this for all my ports and sherries for the fortifying alcohol and the result is great.

Pete

Pete,

Once you have soaked the rasins do you put all of the alcohol into the primary? I would be afraid that primary/secondary fermentation would push the total alcohol too high and not go to dryness before back-sweetening.

We are going to do another 6 gallon batch. We are going to use the house toast just because we think it will be ready to drink sooner. When we do another batch to age, I will use the heavy toast. I really like the heavy toast but think it will take 18 months to age out.

Thanks George. I bought that kit as one to make. I'm stuggling with the whole waiting thing. Patience is not one of MY virtues.
smiley2.gif

BTW, thanks for the email. I showed it to Mark. It really made his day! I also added it to my feedback page. We try very hard to be accessible and helpfulto our customers. It is the only way I will do business and the resulting purchases are testament to the objective, but the "thank you emails" are always GREATLY appreciated. Please call anytime.

The email was a simple statement of my appreciation and loyalty. I'm already planning for the future. Sparkling wine sounds like a challenge. I'm looking forward to starting the first kit this weekend. Thanks again to Mark and you for the help.

I'm bumping this post in salute of George and Joseph. As I said in another post, I got to sample a couple of versions today and they were fantastic. My hat's off to you.

It is a difficult kit to mess up. Only sold 3 of them today based on the tasting. Patricia, who already had one, was thrilled to taste mine. It is so much fun to enjoy one's job. Thanks for coming.

George was kind enough to break open a bottle ofthis port (Fortified with E&J Brandy andEverclear, 1/2 oz. Stavin French House Toast) last night at his house and all I can say it WOW!!! I have to admit I tried some port once before and didn't care for it at all since it was harsh and sickening sweet. The La Bodega was excellent and all the characteristics came through..the high alcohol, the brandy, oak, and the subdued sweetness.
I have changed my mind aboutdrinking Port and making one...thanks Joesph for your work on this one and George for sharing.

What were the Starting SG'S if anyone can remember as my instructions dont list a starting SG but just to note the starting SG. I like to at least have a ball park range so I know if Im in range.

I don't have my notes in front of me, but I think it was around 1.110.

Good time to try some of those neat extracts you sell. Remember I've been buying some and the one I really like is the Swiss chocolate. I added 1/2 of a bottle to a fresh fruit blackbery/rasberry merlot which was a small 1 gal batch. The result was a fruit forward wine with a slight taste of chocolate on the back of your pallet. I have a bottle of coffee I still have decided where it is going to end up in yet.
smiley32.gif

Back