kmeta boo boo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u01dtj6

Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if any of you guys could help.

Basically on my last batch of wine I had doubled the amount of kmeta needed. It tastes like a bar of soap and not wine! Dam.

Is there any chance the taste will fade or shall I put it down to a big boo boo and throw the batch out?

Hope you guys can help me salvage it.

D

make another batch of the same size, don't dose it with k-meta at all, then blend the two batches. Otherwise, you'll most likely have to toss it.

What Dean said or try and splash rack it violently from bucket to bucket to let some of it dissipate.

Wouldn't time be your friend here?
smiley23.gif

If its still in a carboy, just don't add any more K-Meta for 6 months instead of the usual 3 month interval. Over time the K-Meta should just do its job by reacting with O2 (as normal) and basically become tasteless/smell less (is that a word?)

Of course if its bottled your would have to open it all and dump it back to a carboy.

I would splash rack it violently from bucket to bucket to let some of it dissipate. Then let it age a bit more in the carboy as Mike said.

yes..ditto...repeated splash rack will do it if it was a severe overdose...if lightly over done then if you have time...just wait

I did the same on a bulk aging merlot... I added a 1/4 tsp k-meta after 1-1/2 months instead of 3. I figured I would just let it sit for a while then bottle. Do you guys think I should do anything else?

just wait it out......if you have no need to rush.....thats all i do...you didnt do a severe over dose

Thanks for singing it Wade. It is just a little project for me to help keep busy when I am traveling for work. I have had fun Building and maintaining it.

I just bottle some Grand Cru Sauvingnon Blanc. I did all the steps required and let it bulk age for a month. I then added a little less then 1/4 teaspoon (prob 1/6) of k-meta before bottling, there was a little bit left over after my 30 bottles so I poured it into a glass and tasted it, didn't taste that great. I'm sure it will all even itself out in a few months.

Did I add too much in to short of a span? Or will waiting it out fix the off-taste?

EDIT: I should also add that since I only racked it once and don't have a filter, there was a little bit of sediment in that glass I tasted and in 1 bottle, the rest are pretty much crystal clear.

A while back I did a Grand Cru Pinot Gris and in the same time frame of 2-4 extra week past the instructions I added 1/8 teaspoon of k-meta when bottling and it turned out great.

It will probably taste fine down the road a little bit. You didn't add that much more k-meta, so it shouldn't have a huge impact. What you may have tasted is the "bad" taste of newly bottled wine; that's why they tell you to leave the bottles alone for a few weeks or a month after bottling. If there is any lingering off-taste in 2-3 months, let the wine breathe for 20-30 minutes and it should dissipate any excess SO2 (which is the chemical you're trying to add with the k-meta).

I personally find the "glass left over" to usually be an unpleasant but necessary exercise - you don't want to waste that much wine, but it has not had time to settle down from the racking and bottling. Even though t doesn't taste like a good glass of wine, you can get a little insight into what the bottles will taste like later. What you tasted in the glass you had at the end probably had stirred-up sediment in it, and possibly excess oxidizing too - plus it was "green" wine, not ready to be consumed.

So don't fret, it will be ok in the end.

Thanks Bart, I figured that was most likely it. This is going to be some xmas wine anyways, so it has a few months to improve. I will just have one in a few weeks to make sure it tastes fine to give out as gifts.

Back