WineXpert Kit size vs skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas3019

Reaction score
Bigger kit size and skins are both recommended on the forum but I'm curious when you can only choose one, which would you choose? For example, WE Selection California Cabernet is 15L without skins or for about the same price there is the WE WV Australian Cabernet that is 10L with skins. Has anyone made both that could say which is actually better?

Bigger kit size and skins are both recommended on the forum but I'm curious when you can only choose one, which would you choose? For example, WE Selection California Cabernet is 15L without skins or for about the same price there is the WE WV Australian Cabernet that is 10L with skins. Has anyone made both that could say which is actually better?
I have not made both kits. I have made both brands. I made a WE WV GSM with skins and a Selection Vieux Chateau Du Roi. I consider these very similar wines in their foundation. I have made the GSM twice and won't make the VCDR again. The flavors in the GSM with skins is far superior IMHO. I have a feeling the same would hold true with the Cabs. The skins are very important to a cab.

Thanks for the response. And very interesting..I wasn't sure which way this would fall or if anyone had really completed similar kits like that. But I think you're right, the cab would probably benefit from the skins just like your GSM. And the WV one is even a few bucks cheaper!

IMHO there is a place for big and small size kits. If you want an early drinker get a small kit, and it you want some wine to age get a big kit.

Latest posts

Back