WineXpert Kit not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotGut76

Reaction score
Sorry about writing another clearing thread. I've made several of the WE kits. This one just will not clear.

Is it safe to hit it with another round of chitosan, etc?

You could.
Or you could rack it, degass it and then just let it sit for a couple of months.

Or wait for the temp to drop and store it out in the cold for a while,

It will clear in time!

Eventually!

According to WE's website they say you can use sparkolloid.
Any ill effects from that like loss of color/taste/aroma?

Rotgut76, which kit is it? I had a mezza luna white that never really cleared, is why I ask; it was the only kit I have made that had degassing and clearing issues.

I would use superkleer KC, and give extra time for clearing.

Good luck,
Heather

Many kits come with two packs of chitosan - although they would be reds and probably have skins.. but a second chitosan would probably be ok to add.

I've started taking a cue from Kenridge kit instructions and using it for all my wines.. I take an extra day or two of stirring after I add the metabisulphate. I do this for all the wines I make, and the degassing is always successful. After the two days of periodic stirring, then I add the clearing agent(s).

Also, I use this wine whip for stirring... does a great job!
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Prong-De-Gasser-and-Aerator/dp/B0064OPLVY

Any store that sells kits can order this from their suppliers for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had pretty good luck using Sparkolloid on stubborn wines. In 'my mind', it's more like dirt than a chemical so I justify it as more organic. lol
Here are some pictures of a test I did. They're the same wine, I just used different yeasts. Neither of them were clearing fast enough for me so I hit one with sparkolloid to see how much of a difference it would make before doing the other. Worked like a charm. I think it took about a week to fully clear.

This first one is 4 weeks after adding fining agents.
51141950-18DD-4075-8243-78ADFE050276_1.jpg

Then added Sparkolloid to the one on the right
26EAEEDC-386A-4ED4-A5C4-18889E934007.jpg

3 days later, it's the one the left
E3A41AD1-DC59-4CA4-9EE4-05C33922A259.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I racked again and if that doesn't work I will add another sparkolloid.

EDIT: Racked last night. There already seems to be an improvement. Another day or two should clear it right up. Thank you again.

Last edited:
I've had pretty good luck using Sparkolloid on stubborn wines. In 'my mind', it's more like dirt than a chemical so I justify it as more organic. lol
Here are some pictures of a test I did. They're the same wine, I just used different yeasts. Neither of them were clearing fast enough for me so I hit one with sparkolloid to see how much of a difference it would make before doing the other. Worked like a charm. I think it took about a week to fully clear.

This first one is 4 weeks after adding fining agents.
51141950-18DD-4075-8243-78ADFE050276_1.jpg

Then added Sparkolloid to the one on the right
26EAEEDC-386A-4ED4-A5C4-18889E934007.jpg

3 days later, it's the one the left
E3A41AD1-DC59-4CA4-9EE4-05C33922A259.jpg

Thanks for the picture, I just bought a packet of sparkolloid from RJ. When should I put them in? I was going to try it on my Rockin Raspberry Blush from RJ.

PS I use superject filter just before bottling the wine.

I put mine in only if the wine won't clear using the supplied clearing agents. If I'm going to need it, it will usually be apparent at about 3-4 weeks after fining.

Latest posts

Back