killing wine yeast and fliptop glass bottles...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWineGuy

Reaction score
so i have my wine all cleared up and i am ready to store it i put it in a flip top glass bottle and now am wondering if i need to kill the yeast with "sorbate" because i don't have that and are there alternative methods to killing yeast if i do not have this. also is it OK to store wine in the flip top glass bottles?

Wine is fine in flip top bottles.

Just so you know, sorbate does NOT kill yeast. It prevents it from multiplying. So if you need to sweeten and stabilize, make sure it is as clear as possible of any old yeast.

Are you sweetening it? If so you need to add sorbate. If not, no need for sorbate.

No, sorbate does not sweeten wine, it stops any further fermentations. As GreginND stated, if you are going to back sweeten, you need to add sorbate, this will stop any new fermentations (if you add any fermentable sugars the yeast in the wine will start to consume it and start a new fermentation), sorry for being redundant, just trying to make sure that you are clear on this.
If you do not plan on back sweetening the wine, you do not have to add sorbate, I would however stabilize with meta.
You cannot really stop yeast, you would have to add so much meta that the wine wouldn't be suitable to drink.
You can store wine in flip top bottles, however, I don't believe this will be a good choice for long term storage.

I hope that this helps a little,
Tom

What do you mean stableize with meta? What's meta? Is that short for something ?

Oh ok I have that lol sorry so before bottling I should add a little then ok got it

You can store wine in flip top bottles, however, I don't believe this will be a good choice for long term storage.

Just curious as to why you think this. how would this be any different than synthetic corks or regular corks and wax sealing.

thx

Oh ok I have that lol sorry so before bottling I should add a little then ok got it

Don't just randomly add this, follow the package instruction which is usually 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallons of wine. You typically use it preferment, then every three months while bulk aging, and before bottling. It is an antibacterial/antioxidant.

The photo of bottled wine, is that yours-what you just bottled? What kind is it because I do not think that is clear, you want to be able to read newsprint thru the bottle (except reds, you use a flashlight, at least I do). Of course, sometimes a photo is not a clear representation...no pun intended.

Last edited:
Thanks I didn't know they were called flip tops, I use them for my citro cello. As Sara mentioned, if thats a pic of your wine I don't think it's clear. Did you use a clarifier?

My personal feeling is that it won't create a seal as well as a cork.
I could be wrong.

Yeah that stuff has only been sitting for 3 weeks and I transfered it once already I used pectin enzime in the ferment process is that ok? Now do I just let it sit and clear up?

you really should follow some recipes, most will tell you what are what not should be added in the ferment stage, and when to move to a secondary.
after you do about 10 are 15 recipes you will start to make wine with out them.
pretty much basic on all the fruit wines, with db the exception..

come on man.....goggle fruit concentrate wine...are try searching this forum here...there is thousands.

The wine is only a month old it's cleared a lot since the beginning but as you stated it has a long ways to go I don't mean to be a pain for you guys I'm just like anyone else who started I have questions I mean this is my very first batch I'm still learning.

Latest posts

Back