kickstarting fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldnut

Reaction score
I started concord grape from Vintners best. It is the gallon jug of fruit wine base. I added 4 gallons of water and the gallon of Vintners in a primary. Mixed for 2 minutes Checked the SG, it was at 1.075. Temp was about 71. Pitched the yeast. This was 2 days ago and I have no fermentation. My house is pretty chilly with the AC running so I set it outside for a short while today to get temp up. . I checked it at 75 degrees so I brought it back in and wrapped a blanket around it. What else might I try to get this started? Add more yeast or maybe yeast nutrient? Any help appreciated. Ken

I started concord grape from Vintners best. It is the gallon jug of fruit wine base. I added 4 gallons of water and the gallon of Vintners in a primary. Mixed for 2 minutes Checked the SG, it was at 1.075. Temp was about 71. Pitched the yeast. This was 2 days ago and I have no fermentation. My house is pretty chilly with the AC running so I set it outside for a short while today to get temp up. . I checked it at 75 degrees so I brought it back in and wrapped a blanket around it. What else might I try to get this started? Add more yeast or maybe yeast nutrient? Any help appreciated. Ken

It can take that long to get going. What type of yeast did you use, and did you check the expiration date ? 71 isn't too chilly to get going, but 75 will probably move it along more quickly.

John I must admit that yeast selection confuses me. The guy at the wine shop that I go to advised me to use rc 212. I should have checked here first!

I have found that using 212 yeast takes a day or 2 longer. As John mentioned, check the date on your yeast. Give it a few days if the date is good.

Well I got fermentation this morning. I should learn to be more patient. Thanks for the help.

Thought I posted this earlier but I must have got distracted!

Latest posts

Back