K-META Adding to carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERASMO

Reaction score
I am getting ready to rack a 5 Gallon batch of amarone and wanted to treat with k-meta. This batch was made from juice and I was wondering if I can just add 1/4 teaspoon to the empty carboy before transferring the wine into it or do I need to dissolve in water first then add?

I like to remove a little wine and mix the kmeta with that then put it in the empty carboy and rack on top just to make sure the kmeta is dissolved. However when running short of time, I have put the kmeta in the carboy first and let a few cups of wine rack threw and swirl until disolved and then rack the rest of the wine on top.
VC

Yep as above. Dissolve in a small amt of wine and add to empty carboy and rack over it

Am I right in believing that when k-meta is added to the carboy for bulk aging, more has to be added every 3 or so months because the effects of the k-meta will simply degrade over time?

u01dtj6 said:
Am I right in believing that when k-meta is added to the carboy for bulk aging, more has to be added every 3 or so months because the effects of the k-meta will simply degrade over time?

Yes

I was told that approximately 50% is bound on first dose, 20% about at second dose, and 10% at third dose. This is why you really should get an S02 test kit because you dont know whats still available and what you truly need.

I know its been asked before but, what kind do you use again? And $$?

Back