JW's Inspiration OCP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Ok people. I got this one somewhat started.

As it sits right now my recipe for 3 gallons was

1# Golden Dried Malt Extract (was recommended by the LHBS guy Aaron instead of Extra Light DME)
6#'s sugar
8 oz Hersheys Cocoa Powder
3 ripe bananas (medium) skinned and cut
6-12oz cans Orange Juice concentrate
2 cans Welches White Grape Concentrate(yellow lid)

Brought 1 gallon of water to a boil and added the DME, Sugar, Bananas, and added the cocoa powder 4 oz at a time until all was thoroughly dissolved and brought to a rolling boil.

Added this all to 6-12 oz cans of Orange juice concentrate and Welches White grape in the primary.
Topped up to the 3 gallon mark with water
It smells and tastes fantastic right now, just like those orange chocolate candies you get for the holidays.

Added

1.5 tsp wine tannin (powder)
1.5 tsp yeast energizer
1/8 tsp k-meta

Stirred up everything and took a sg (must was still warm but temp is not known)

SG was 1.142 (wow wee)

I am thinking of using Lalvin K1-V116 or I have another Red Star Pasteur Champagne. I know that the Lalvin probably would be the better choice with such a high gravity.

Pretty sure I will make a starter tomorrow morning using a few ounces of must and some water to dilute that SG to a reasonable level to commence fermentation.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Looks like A plan Gaudet
smiley32.gif

Wade, golden light, if what im thinking, is a sort of all purpose light extract, used in several types of brews....and port!
smiley36.gif

20090730_192257_image_2078_Smal.jpg

That's the one JW........ I was looking for it to post a pic.....You beat me to it.....

Made my starter 2 hours ago with the Lalvin k1-v1116

Its bubbling already......... Wheee..... Gonna pitch some tonight and kick that big old 1.142 SG's sugar coated booty

Ingredients gathered

Ingredients2.jpg

I brought 1 gallon of water along with 6#'s sugar and1# Golden Light DME with bananas to a rolling boil.

GoldenLightDMEandbananas.jpg

Cocoa powder added and dissolved (8oz) mixture brought to a boil again.

CocoaandSugaradded.jpg

The must today was measured again for the sg and it was significantly higher at 1.150. I added 1/2 gallon of water to dilute it down to 1.140 It will also give me some extra for topping off and tasting :) (oops I realized that I used the same pic twice
smiley9.gif
)

Must1.jpg

I made a starter for this batch with 8 oz of orange juice from the fridge. I let it come to room temp and pitched Lalvin K1-v1116. It should kick this party off nicely.

Starter4.jpg

Gaudet, That sounds soooo good !!!!! I may have to start a batch after I get some of my fruit wines aging.

I pitched yeast about 1/2 an hour ago the starter was foaming like a rabid dog. After tasting the must, I think its going to be an interesting one cause I'm really digging the smell and taste of this must. I doubt that it can ferment to dry ( I dare it to drop to 0.992) cause that would give me 20% ABV without any fortification. I'm hoping that it stops in the 1.020-1.025 range (15%-16%)

Good boy lalvin get 'em
smiley36.gif

Thanks Wade and fivebk

If you have a cost plus world market near you check them out. They had ghiradelli chocolate powder for about $5 for 8 ounces and they also had the double chocolate powder for the same price. (I guess it has more intense chocolate flavor)

Houston. We have ignition and liftoff.

edit 19:48

I just stirred the cap on it and its fizzing nicely. It looks just like chocolate syrup right now. Not quite that thick, but the color looks like molten chocolate.

That needs a straw sticking in it.....with me sucking on it !!!!
smiley36.gif

gaudet

question for you - - - - - -

do you not label your bottles?

I noticed in your picture that you have some type of label around the capsule.

this must be for the private stock so you do not have to wash - scrape - cuss and shout getting the full size labels off!!!!!!!

where did you get athem smarts? hummmmmmmmmmmmm?

another question - what will the end product look like with the OCP? Will it be a dark brown orange nose liquid in the glass? or?

sounds like an interesting project - just cannot imagine the taste but sounds goooooooood!!!! I may just have to start one of these!!!

keep us posted.

thanx

rrawhide

Rrawhide,

I used to do the fullsize labels. But someone here made the suggestion to use the PVC shrink wraps along with the 1"x3" mailing labels. That way when you open your bottles it's cleaned off the label automatically.

Far as what the final product will be remains to be seen as this is the first time I made it myself.

Wow. The k1-v1116 kicked some serious butt. The sg was at 1.030 earlier today. Going to rack it tomorrow and get another reading on the sg. It's at 15% already.

Well I was able to get a good reading on the SG today. I actually drew a sample into the wine thief and measured 1.020, I think I was hitting the bottom of the primary yesterday when I was measuring. That means I am at about 16% ABV right now. Its a very chocolate milk looking liquid, SWMBO called it sludge. Time to put it in the closet and forget about it for a month.

Racked8-5-09.jpg

Latest posts

Back