Just Starting Out.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would also be good to get yourself some good winemaking books. www.morewine.com has, what they say, is the best beginning wine book they have ever read. It's called Home Winemaking Step-by-Step. They have other books that you may also find useful on red and white winemaking. Also look at the MoreManuals section while you're there--they have a lot of free info that you need to know and also have their Guide to Red Winemaking on PDF.

Welcome to our addiction:dg
For a first time I would do a wine kit. It has all the everything you will need except equipment.
Second, I would make a wine that is a quick drinker. Some high end kits need a year or more of ageing. It's easier to let the high end kits to age if you have something you have made that you can drink. What about a 10-12L white kit. What do you like?

johnt, i agree with you...i just thought it would be a inexpensive way for him to go through the whole process and he could see how a ferment is completed, how lees gather, how to rack, etc with out spending alot of money....if he enjoyed the process he could go from there..

johnt, i agree with you...i just thought it would be a inexpensive way for him to go through the whole process and he could see how a ferment is completed, how lees gather, how to rack, etc with out spending alot of money....if he enjoyed the process he could go from there..

I hear you James. I just don't want the man to expect a "Big Red" and be put off by Dragon's blood. You make a very valid suggestion. I just was trying to manage his expectations.

You guys are a riot! And it doesn't seem like 100 liters is too much, to speak of. five 5-gallon buckets (food safe, of course) I think I can manage that! Right now I need to focus on getting the proper equipment to start! :D

Thanks!

If your interested in doing 100 liters check craigslist you can usually find food safe barrels in different sizes there pretty cheap. Keep in mind though ya will need to rack them out of them barrels to carboys though.

Winenoob,

Thank you for the advice. Not entirely sure if that is where I will start or not, however I will definitely keep this in mind if this is, in fact, a route that I will go!

careful

You guys are a riot! And it doesn't seem like 100 liters is too much, to speak of. five 5-gallon buckets (food safe, of course) I think I can manage that! Right now I need to focus on getting the proper equipment to start! :D

Thanks!

just make sure you understand the process here ... the 5 @5-gallon buckets would only get you thru primary fermentation ... you then will need 5 @5gallon carboys to complete fermentation (plus a couple 1 gallon to handle excess volume to use for topping up)

enjoy the new addiction! I so remember when I went to my local shop to get a corker since it wasnt included in my equipment kit ... and when he asked how much wine i intended to be making I told him 2-3 kits a year ... well yah ... 1 year and 17 kits later ... that was a load of hooey!! (but oh such fun in the meantime!)

Sue, (very clever name! I like that!).

I am afraid I don't understand the last portion of your post, my dear. 1 year and SEVENTEEN kits later? That was more than what you were looking to do? Am I understanding that right? ...I'm confused. LOL! Sorry.

hey I`m a complete novice too, if I wanted to start making red and white ,would I need two separate kits (not at the same time btw)..........and if anyone is from Oz(Perth) can you tell me where to buy a starter kits please , thanks

Home Brew
West Brew T/As Brewcraft

16 Donovan Street, Osborne Park, Perth WA 6017
Phone: +61 8 9444 0468
- Fax: +61 8 9444 0560

-----------------------------

Malthouse Brew Supplies
45 Welshpool Rd, Welshpool, Western Australia 6106
Call: +61 8 9361 6424

------------------------

And many many more listed here

http://www.aussieweb.com.au/directory/home+brewing+equipment/wa/perth/

hey I`m a complete novice too, if I wanted to start making red and white ,would I need two separate kits (not at the same time btw)..........and if anyone is from Oz(Perth) can you tell me where to buy a starter kits please , thanks

I assume you mean equipment kits. You can certainly make red and white with the same kit. One thing that would help in that situation is to get an extra carboy.

I recommend you check for vendors in Australia to save on shipping.

I got the books you guys suggested. I am excited to get started! This is going to be fun! I'll keep you guys posted! :D

Back