Just got my floor corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
There's really not much point to this post -- other than to say - wow! I tried using one of those hand corkers, and what a PITA. This floor corker is absolutely awesome. The Boy (my 10 year old assistant) is having fun just taking old corks, corking empty bottles, and taking the corks back out again. It's that easy. My suggestion -- as a newb myself on this -- is don't waste time or money on the hand corkers, this thing (which cost me $72) is a thousand times better.

IMG_0851.JPG

Glad you're happy with your new floor corker. I got one last Christmas, a different model than your's, and likewise like it but I would not have bought if for myself. I'm perhaps a bit too frugal. At about 10 6 gallon batches of wine a year, had it not been for the gift from my wife, I'd still be hand corking.

It is always exciting to get something that really works well and you are willing to share that experience with others !!

The floor corkers are great for sure. Mite want to get some felt or rubber pads to go on the legs so you don't scratch that nice floor. If I had to work over that with my wines guess I would either have to build a room of my own or find a different hobby. Mine is cement, a vac. and a mop take care of all the spills. Said it before on here, but if you are fermenting over that floor make sure you put something under the carboy so if you have an eruption it will catch it. Maybe a plastic pan, cut down bucket, or even just a garbage bag around the carboy, only have to pull it up a little ways around the sides. Won't stop a big blowup, but will really help with the small ones. Arne.

Say, isn't that a stainless steel conical fermenter in the floor corker image? Congratulations on both. I'm still living off of my two hand corker.

The floor corkers are great for sure. Mite want to get some felt or rubber pads to go on the legs so you don't scratch that nice floor. If I had to work over that with my wines guess I would either have to build a room of my own or find a different hobby. Mine is cement, a vac. and a mop take care of all the spills. Said it before on here, but if you are fermenting over that floor make sure you put something under the carboy so if you have an eruption it will catch it. Maybe a plastic pan, cut down bucket, or even just a garbage bag around the carboy, only have to pull it up a little ways around the sides. Won't stop a big blowup, but will really help with the small ones. Arne.

I'm going to check Grainger for some rubber pads. But the floor isn't really that special, it's cheap Home Depot "flooring" (1/4 laminate veneer) over a particle board base in a basement. It's in "my office", which is really my home bar.

Say, isn't that a stainless steel conical fermenter in the floor corker image? Congratulations on both. I'm still living off of my two hand corker.

Yes, that's my new fermenter, from ssbrewtech.com. I have an apple wine in there right now. So far, I'm fairly pleased with it, for the price ($225). Will probably post a full review once I've done a couple of batches with it.

IMG_0861.JPG

Well worth the added expense!

I got some thick rubber mats at home depot in there flooring department that would even save an empty carboy if it fell on it. When you get them leave them outside for a week to air out, otherwise your house will smell like burnt rubber.

Wow! That sure is one squared away work space. Good for you.

I got mine several weeks ago but just used it for the first time last night. All I can say is WOW! I didn't think the hand corker was that bad but decided to treat myself to the burgundy one from EC Kraus. http://www.eckraus.com/winery-grade-floor-corker.html.
This is one of those thing that makes you slap your forehead and say "why didn't I do this before?'. It's so easy, even a husband can do it. :h

I will put some rubber on the legs though. It slides a bit on my tile floor.

1D6A3837-6F17-48A4-ACA2-1E193925A1D6.jpg

Manthing is the official corker around here.

We've been using the handheld since I started.
He's never liked it all that much. The one we have seems to need adjustment and tinkering all the time. And try as he might, we can't get through an entire batch without it pinching off at least one or two cork tips.
The last time we used it I thought he was going to hurl it across the room in frustration.
So I bought a floor corker. It's actually ready for me to pickup now, I'm just on vacation and I get everything shipped to work. I'm afraid if I walk in there and they see me I'll be put to work!
I can't wait to get it home and try it out though.
I think I'm going to name her Vera.

Oh just go in there and get it and tell them you're on a mission and you have to leave right away. Can you think of anything better to do while you're on vacation than bottle wine?

Vera, lol

Oh just go in there and get it and tell them you're on a mission and you have to leave right away. Can you think of anything better to do while you're on vacation than bottle wine?

Vera, lol

Yup, drinking wine. I got the Italian floor corker and glad I did, also got the capping attachment that makes beer bottling a breeze.

I just got the burgundy model that Lori also has and have an odd occasional "hang up" with it. Maybe 2 or 3 times out of 30 bottles it would kind of jam or freeze at the point where the cork is fully compressed and ready to go into the bottle. It almost feels like the bottle is not aligned and the cork is hitting the edge. I just had to lift the lever, leave the same cork in and pull it a second time and it went on in. Anyone else have something similar when using this?
I do love it though compared to the double lever.
Mike

Having just bought a used Ferrari, I think care and maintenance on corkers is overlooked. I plan on cleaning mine with every use and taking it apart cleaning and lubing it after every season.

Having just bought a used Ferrari, I think care and maintenance on corkers is overlooked. I plan on cleaning mine with every use and taking it apart cleaning and lubing it after every season.

Be careful what you use. Too many people use a meta/citric solution for sanitizing the corker. This solution is highly corrosive and rusts out the corkers in no time. I sanitize my jaws and plunger with alcohol.

glad you said that i need to use alchaol to to clean mine i didnt think bout rust....u still dip your corks in meta or use them dry

Me and The Boy racked over a couple of young wines tonight - a pear and a grape (Trader Joe's organic juice). These are young but we had extra for topping up and I figured I'd bottle a couple of 375's, refrigerate, and taste, to see if they need backsweetening (like my wines mostly dry). Had a lot of fun, The Boy did the corking with the floor corker. Did this all with the AIO, and it went so fast I had to work to keep up with it. Needed to adjust it a bit, but got it down. Just felt like posting a pic. Enjoying this!

IMG_0894.JPG

Latest posts

Back