Jumped the gun

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrymck

Reaction score
I started a batch of Dragon's Blood today. This is a first having never thought that anything not made from grapes would be wine. That is until I found this forum.
You would think the recipe would be a no brainer. (Daves recipe) But I did not add the pectic enzyme. Why, I do not have any. It is on order and I thought I had received it. So, Dave says wait 24 hours before pitching the yeast. There is a possibility that I will have the PE by then but what if it is 24 hours later? If I delay pitching yeast until then have I created any problems?

DB made from equal parts of blueberry, strawberry and blackberry plus the Real lemon called for. All other ingredients are in the must right now.
Terry

Not certain but I understand that fermentation inhibits the action of the pectic enzyme. The purpose of adding this enzyme is to help the wine clear bright and clear. If you have pitched the yeast I would wait until all the fermentation has ceased and then add the enzyme

Pectic enzyme is also used to help break down the fruit cells and secure more juice and flavor from your fruit. If your expecting it tomorrow I'd wait and add the PE and let it set overnight. Then pitch your yeast or yeast starter. I have often left my must set for 36-48 hours and have never had a problem. Keep it covered and stir to keep anything floating from drying out.
Just my 2.0 cents worth! :h

Beano Joe

I agree with what has been said and I would also try to keep it cool if possible so nothing starts trying to spoil although I doubt that would happen in just 24 hours.

Thanks, guys. It should be here tomorrow according to UPS.
Joe, my daughter lives in Sanford and we will be there this coming weekend. I plan to stop in Yadkinville at Carolina Wine Supply; just a short detour off 85. Have you ever used them?

Terry

Thanks, guys. It should be here tomorrow according to UPS.
Joe, my daughter lives in Sanford and we will be there this coming weekend. I plan to stop in Yadkinville at Carolina Wine Supply; just a short detour off 85. Have you ever used them?

Terry

If he doesn't answer you right away, try sending him a private message. Click on his user name and then on private message. Arne.

Terry,

I have never dealt with Carolina Wine Supply so I can't say anything about them. I will check to see if they have a website though. Closer to home. Since the one and only Home Brew Supply in Fayetteville (city of 250,000) closed up, I've been getting my supplies from Doug at Brew and Wine Supply in Missouri. Great guy. Two day shipping.

Beano Joe

Back