Campden tablets in tropical dragons blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DnaNC

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new ro winemaking and this is wine#2 I am working on today. I am starting a tropical dragon's blood wine based on traditional dragon's blood recipe but using different fruits and juices. I'm using a blend of orange, pineapple, and mango juices. I noticed that Danger Dave does not use campden tablets in the first 24 hours and neither did another recipe for the tropical version I found. Why not? Do I need them? I am not using any lemon juice.

Last edited:
Since the fruit used has been frozen most wild yeast will be dormant/dead, lessening the chance of a "wild" ferment. As for me I use K-meta regardless since I will be stirring or racking. I use a French whip to stir vigorously to aerate. Plus it's a safeguard against some bacteria.

Campden tablets and kmeta is used as insurance. Microscopic organisms are everywhere and we don't want the wine yeast competing with the nasty bugs and bacteria. Once the yeast make enough alcohol the environment isn't hospitable for the microscopic interlopers - for the most part. Do you need it to make wine? No.

If I'm using hot water (near 200 F) at the beginning of a batch I don't use it. Fruit/vegetables from the garden, no hot water, I use it just in case.

If you're using store bought juices you'll be fine (probably). It's a personal choice we all make.

And good luck!

Campden tablets and kmeta is used as insurance. Microscopic organisms are everywhere and we don't want the wine yeast competing with the nasty bugs and bacteria. Once the yeast make enough alcohol the environment isn't hospitable for the microscopic interlopers - for the most part. Do you need it to make wine? No.

If I'm using hot water (near 200 F) at the beginning of a batch I don't use it. Fruit/vegetables from the garden, no hot water, I use it just in case.

If you're using store bought juices you'll be fine (probably). It's a personal choice we all make.

And good luck!
I used hot water. That's what I needed to know. Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back