July grape bunches forming?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleschorn

Novice Vintner
Reaction score
So it's been a bit since I posted... Anyway, my vineyard is growing well, dealing with Japanese beetles, but beyond that everything seems good. So my Concord vines seem to be starting to produce new grape bunches... I'm still new to this, but I was under the impression that this was something that should only happen in the early spring. I've attached a couple of pictures, note the extra ping growth at the edge of the growth tip, this has been showing up for about a week and I thought I should address it...

So is this good? bad? Do I leave them? Do I pinch them? I fertilized about 7-8 weeks ago? Is that possibly what caused this? Should I fertilize again?

I keep expecting the vines to slow down and go dormant with the heat, but our summer thus far has been mild and wet, so it's more like an extended spring, not complaining, just need to know what to do next for the vines... :)

WP_20140714_002.jpg

WP_20140714_001.jpg

I don't see any grape clusters so I'm not sure what you are concerned about. That looks like a growing shoot tip to me. The clusters will form at the base of shoots coming from 1 year old wood, not at the end of the shoot.

Gregin - Like I said I am new, I'll let them grow and see what I get, if I do get anything odd, I'll update... :)

Latest posts

Back