Juicer question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustylynne

Junior
Reaction score
Just curious, but can you use a juicer to extract the juice from grapes (or any other fruit) to make wine?

Hello and welcome to the forum. A juice extractor is not recommened for making wine. You would end up with a bitter taste from the seeds and skins.

They can work great on fruit without seeds. I find as long as the skin get broken and there is enough pectin enzyme the yeast break most stuff down pretty well.

When we talk about juicers we are talking about Steam Juicers. Like Dan said a regular juicer will grind up seeds and woll leave a bad taste in wine.

I purchased one of the Jack LaLanne juicers for $100 bucks for this purpose and after 4 uses on various fruits, I can't recommend it. You can't process the fruit without it leaking all over the counter top, getting stopped up and spitting half processed fruit out the spout. I spend more time unstopping it and cleaning up than I do processing the fruit. Total waste of money but if you insist on buying one, I've got one to sell!

If you have no worries about the seeds issue (which is a matter of taste anyway) I would recommend you use a high quality blender. But, even that comes at a price. So far, I have burned up two of them processing various stuff. I guess I'm just hard on electronics or something....

My name is Ken and I'm a steam juicer addict.

I've steamed-juiced pears, peaches, blueberries, and strawberries - all with fantastic success.

I tried to steam-juice white raisins, but that didn't work out the way I expected. However, they got all plump and full and I think that helped them ferment out... so I count that as a success too!

I have used both types and have to say that the steam juicer is the real deal. I have only done plum and watermelon in the Jack Lalanne juicer. Worked well but I have since bought the steam juicer and refuse to look back. :r

Back