I've done it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
smiley19.gif
About 5 minutes before my scheduled time to leave for work this morning, I tipped over an upside down 6.5 gallon carboy and it shattered into a million pieces! There were shards of glass everywhere including in the sandals I was wearing! I started to clean it up, realized I was bleeding and soon figured cleaning up the broken glass wasn't a priority. I cleaned myself up, removed some glass from the bottom of my foot and applied band-aids to various spots, closed the cat and dog out of the kitchen, and went to work.

I don't recommend starting your day that way.

*offers sympathy*

Thank goodness it wasn't full of product, eh Joan?

- Jim

I hope you got all the glass out of your foot! I bet you heart is broken too. I would be shattered if that happened to me. May the rest of the day be better.

Did you have it draining? Hope the cuts were not very serious

Yikes! I broke one in the kitchen of an apartment I lived in and wow did it make a noise!! Sorry to hear that there was bleeding involved though
smiley6.gif

Yes, I was draining it. I had just spent a couple of days cleaning and scrubbing it getting it ready for the 7 gallons of strawberry that will need racking tomorrow or Thursday. The "plan" was to use that one to age in so I could save my two 6s to have for my Outback Shiraz and Pinot Noir. The best laid plans and all...
smiley6.gif

The glass is out of my foot and all bleeding is long stopped. My sandal survived the trauma as well!
smiley4.gif

Joan said:
Yes, I was draining it. I had just spent a couple of days cleaning and scrubbing it getting it ready for the 7 gallons of strawberry that will need racking tomorrow or Thursday. The "plan" was to use that one to age in so I could save my two 6s to have for my Outback Shiraz and Pinot Noir. The best laid plans and all...
smiley6.gif

The glass is out of my foot and all bleeding is long stopped. My sandal survived the trauma as well!
smiley4.gif

No holes in the sandals?

Only the tops of them have holes!
smiley4.gif
The inside cleaned up pretty well. They didn't look good red!

Joan said:
Only the tops of them have holes!
smiley4.gif
The inside cleaned up pretty well. They didn't look good red!

I found out the hard way that if you don't like the red, just leave it a while and the red turns kind of brown. My black winter suede jacket turned brown when I fell down and cracked my scalp open(17 stitches) and layed in a pool of my blood on the ice for two hours about 8 years ago now. It just never cleaned up good!
smiley36.gif
It's funny, I can't ever get a barber to cut my hair short in the back of the head. I guess they figure I don't want a 4 inch scar showing
smiley5.gif

You're lucky you didn't hurt yourself any worse than you did.

I've broken two carboys while cleaning them. Both just had major cracks with no chards of glass to contend with. After breaking the second carboy I switched to Better Bottles. So far I'm absolutely thrilled using the plastic bottles. I bang them around and they bounce so well! Lightweight and no worry about breaking one.

Wayne

Joan,

I now have a rubber floor in my wine-making area - if I do have an inadvertent test of carboy bounce heights, I'll be sure to record the results for you. :)

- Jim

Joan, glad to hear you and your foot and your sandal made it thru the blood and gore of the attackiing carboy!!
smiley18.gif

Was wondering.....
After Joan had the dream about drinking from a bottle at work...then...the bottle turning into a carboy.....
What's really going on here???? Is it all a dream????

I'm sure the reason I had the dream about the carboy was because I'd just spent a couple of days soaking and cleaning and scrubbing it! That'll teach me to clean! It never would have happened if it had been dirty!
smiley4.gif

Glad you are OK.

That is precisely why I use mostly Beiter Bottles (sp?)--the plastic fermenters.

I still have to use glass when I degas with the brake bleeder but everything else is done in the plastic. I love them.

JimCook said:
Joan,

I now have a rubber floor in my wine-making area - if I do have an inadvertent test of carboy bounce heights, I'll be sure to record the results for you. :)

- Jim

Jim, Does the rubber floor go along with padded walls??
smiley4.gif

I can't wait to see the test results!
smiley36.gif

Back