It's Happening!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I have lost some cells so that's why I deferred to your memory. Take heart, I believe you are close to 5 years older than I am, so I think your memory is doing better than mine!

You OG’s should be ashamed of yourselves! I remember this well because I was doing my first MLFs and trying to understand what was what. (And showing off possibly the ugliest chroma test in the history of chromatography @ceeaton)
I had those test strips @cmason1957 uses conflicting with chroma test results. And I dove into the numbers.

Chromatography is sensitive to about
100mg/L-200mg/L malic content.

A typical ‘Post MLF’ malic acid target is under 30mg/L.

The one thing I was never able to find is what a typical malic content is BEFORE mlf. The strips show up to 500. I can only assume that pre-mlf wines can range from a few hundred mg/L to a few thousand mg/L. But that’s just a guess. 8DBF6D03-E6BE-423B-986F-3A99EE818AA5.jpg

@Ajmassa Yep, there's a wide range for malic acid content, my 2016 Sangiovese initially had 3.6g/l malic acid. The 2017 Pinot Noir had 4.2g/l to start. The 2018 Red Mountain Cab was 1.2g/l. The 2018 Moon Mountain Cab was 2g/l. That's part of the reason it's difficult to predict how much the TA will drop due to ML completion.

@Ajmassa Yep, there's a wide range for malic acid content, my 2016 Sangiovese initially had 3.6g/l malic acid. The 2017 Pinot Noir had 4.2g/l to start. The 2018 Red Mountain Cab was 1.2g/l. The 2018 Moon Mountain Cab was 2g/l. That's part of the reason it's difficult to predict how much the TA will drop due to ML completion.

Wow. Thanks for sharing this. I looked a couple different times before— but could never find anything.

So Is Brehm giving you the g/L malic content too? Jesus. They don’t play games do they?
Brix, ph, TA, YAN, malic—- what else you gettin? Don’t hold out on me!

Chromo #1 from 2 weeks ago:

Adjustments.JPG

Chromo #2 from this weekend:

IMG_9150.JPG

I did them in reverse order the second time around (so #1 on the first test is #4 on the second, etc.).

Will let this sit another week or two, rack and dose. Looks done to me and it’s time to move on. Literally...

We sold our house and moving day is December 1st. But, I’m moving my wine and guns separately myself.

Last edited:
Congrats! Good idea to move the wine and guns separately. Booz and firearms don't belong together. :D

Back