It's Happening!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So close to 15 gallons of wine with a bucket press? Count me impressed.

Thanks! All I did was sit on the press, shuffle the skins and sit some more.

That's 2 6.4 gallon carboys and a 5 gal (that I could only get to about 4.1). All told, I was able to squeeze almost 17 gallons out of the skins with my bucket press. I got a gallon or two more than I thought I would. I will likely net 15 gallons at the next racking, though, with a little left over for topping up.

looks like you had a very clean press.

I did. Very happy. The only issue I have right now is the 4.1 gallons of wine in a 5 gallon carboy. I’m not too concerned with oxidation. But the headspace eliminator isn’t going to cut it for the next two weeks while the wine finishes its MLF. Thinking of just putting an airlock on and letting it alone.

I did. Very happy. The only issue I have right now is the 4.1 gallons of wine in a 5 gallon carboy. I’m not too concerned with oxidation. But the headspace eliminator isn’t going to cut it for the next two weeks while the wine finishes its MLF. Thinking of just putting an airlock on and letting it alone.

You can’t rack down to 3 + 1 + 750ml?

Those 1 gallon jugs are super useful and hard to have too many for that last bit coming off the press! "Topping" wine for the next rack. I found a Carlo Rossi gallon jug in the backcountry in Death Valley NP, and yep brought it home and it has wine in it right now. My friends thought I was "recycling" , which I was, but not the way they they thought. I figure you need 3 for each 3 gallon carboy you have. That way, you can't be caught short.

Those 1 gallon jugs are super useful and hard to have too many for that last bit coming off the press! "Topping" wine for the next rack. I found a Carlo Rossi gallon jug in the backcountry in Death Valley NP, and yep brought it home and it has wine in it right now. My friends thought I was "recycling" , which I was, but not the way they they thought. I figure you need 3 for each 3 gallon carboy you have. That way, you can't be caught short.

And you need two 1/2 gallon jugs for each gallon that you have and 3 -750 ml bottles for each 1/2 gallon and 2 -375 Ml bottles for each 750 Ml bottle. I believe that right there is what you call an algebraic progression. Oh and don't forget 2 - 3 gallon carboys for each 6 gallon carboy. and don't even get me started on demijohns.

I have 2 one gallon jugs and the cheapest solution here might be for me to go get two more.

4 gallon water carboys- PET container, only $4 at Wegmans, similar elsewhere. Not the thickest plastic as they are meant to be disposable, but useful if you don't have to move them much. They are an intermediate size, store anywhere, fit a standard 'universal' bung. And come with water. I don't feel bad about ditching them when the wine has settled and is racked to glass for long term. I have also used them as primary fermenters for wine that is then racked to a 3 gallon when done. Better for me than using a bucket or open fermenter.

Chromotography shows a complete MLF... I think. I’ll leave it another two weeks and see if that little notion of doubt goes away.

My first chromo:

View attachment 57444

Thoughts?

Looks good!! I agree with the notion of waiting a couple weeks to sulfite, but not to remove doubt, just the last straggling bit of malic......Congratulations!!!!!

Looks good!! I agree with the notion of waiting a couple weeks to sulfite, but not to remove doubt, just the last straggling bit of malic......Congratulations!!!!!
Agreed. I believe the test will show malic acid above a certain threshold that is above zero. I believe @cmason1957 mentioned what it was a few years back in another thread.

Agreed. I believe the test will show malic acid above a certain threshold that is above zero. I believe @cmason1957 mentioned what it was a few years back in another thread.

I probably did, this is from memory now and I might have lost those actual braincells, but 40 ppm is the number I recall and I seem to recall it takes under 20 ppm to be called enough. Please, if I have misremembered, be gentle.

This will be the second co-inoculation with no problem. I've also done two consecutive fermentations (doing the AF first, then the MLF) and one worked famously well, the other infamously bad.

Co-inoculations are like illegal raves in the warehouse district... there's just so much going on in the wine, the ML bacteria has no other choice but to get up and dance.

I probably did, this is from memory now and I might have lost those actual braincells, but 40 ppm is the number I recall and I seem to recall it takes under 20 ppm to be called enough. Please, if I have misremembered, be gentle.
I know I have lost some cells so that's why I deferred to your memory. Take heart, I believe you are close to 5 years older than I am, so I think your memory is doing better than mine!

Latest posts

Back