It's Happening!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a good plan, enjoy the ride!!! My stuff doesn’t get picked til next week, getting a little anxious.

I'm going to guess you're fine. It's warmed up here and it's dry and perfect. 86 daytime high, 54 evening low. Perfect grape weather. No rain predicted for at least a week either. It's also perfect temps for garage fermentation too!

Got home and moved the must down from the garage to the wine room with a little help from Mrs Mann.

Pulled a sample of the 50/50 field blend of Cab and Syrah:

At 67* F.

SG is an impressive 1.110. Converted, that’s 26 Brix.

Too hot?? I’m thinking maybe, maybe not.

If I ferment down to 0.995, that’s about 15% ABV. Where does one get dicidulated (Or however you spell it) water. Or will distilled water suffice?? And how much water to drop the Brix to 25?

Ph is a little high at 3.89 but not enough for me to want to monkey with it.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess you're fine. It's warmed up here and it's dry and perfect. 86 daytime high, 54 evening low. Perfect grape weather. No rain predicted for at least a week either. It's also perfect temps for garage fermentation too!

Glad the weather there is on track. No garage fermenting here, we’re still in summer, haven’t had any lows in the 60’s yet, highs still in the mid 90’s. Changes coming though, nights in the 60’s, highs in the 80’s this week. Hopefully it’ll be cool when the fruit gets here......

Got home and moved the must down from the garage to the wine room with a little help from Mrs Mann.

Pulled a sample of the 50/50 field blend of Cab and Syrah:

At 67* F.

SG is an impressive 1.110. Converted, that’s 26 Brix.

Too hot?? I’m thinking maybe, maybe not.

If I ferment down to 0.995, that’s about 15% ABV. Where does one get dicidulated (Or however you spell it) water. Or will distilled water suffice??

Ph is a little high at 3.89 but not enough for me to want to monkey with it.

You have to mix your own acidulated water using tartaric acid. I might be tempted to bring that down to 25.5 Brix and bump up the acid a bit while you're doing it. I was jealously eyeing those Cab grapes yesterday. Every lug looked perfect. And the two or three grapes I ate tasted great.

You have to mix your own acidulated water using tartaric acid. I might be tempted to bring that down to 25.5 Brix and bump up the acid a bit while you're doing it. I was jealously eyeing those Cab grapes yesterday. Every lug looked perfect. And the two or three grapes I ate tasted great.

They taste great.

I am tempted to add water.

I have tartaric acid around here somewhere.

To drop my ph to 3.79, I want to add 25g to tartaric acid to how much distilled water (to drop the Brix to 25.5)? If my math is right, it’s just short of a gallon of distilled water.

Last edited:
@jgmann67 you lazy dog, one fermenter? LOL, this is how I roll. 4 wines 10 fermenters. Left Grenache red and Rose, Middle Merlot, right Touriga and the barrel is getting neutralized with acidulated water for the Petit Manseng and Viognier and perhaps the peach.

Dat's a lotta wine!

Wish I could do more. Unfortunately, it's all my wallet can manage.

I might eventually get to the point of quitting kits and just doing fall grapes. I could save up the rest of the year for a half ton of grapes in different varietals. Then again, I didn't check my lottery numbers from last night. =)

Back