WineXpert Italian Trebbiano

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto-girl

Reaction score
I have had this in secondary for 2 weeks and the airlock is still occasionally bubbling and I can still see bubbles coming to the top. This is also my first white and I know a slow ferment is a good thing, but is this a somewhat normal occurance or unusual? I'm not in a hurry for the next step, just getting a little curious when it will be??? BTW I have not checked the SG, I sort of thought it was unnecessary if still bubbling. Thanks for any opinions or ideas. Tanya

The only way to know whats going on is to check the SG as it is probably just CO2 escaping from the wine and is most likely done fermenting.

Always rely on the hydrometer, not the bubbles. Wade is correct, it is most likely just wine de-gassing itself.

I checked the SG and it was at .996 . So I went ahead and went to the next step of degassing and adding the stabilizers and clarifiers. Now its time for a nap.
smiley2.gif

yea .996 your ready for secondary fermentation...

trebbiano sounds YUM! any pics?Edited by: Dominick

Sorry, Dominick. We are preparing to move soon; the for sale sign went in the front yard yesterday. I have never taken the time to figure out how to post pics. I did buy a digital camera recently and will get around to posting eventually when things slow down ?!? But, I can say that the color is a beautiful golden honey color in the carboy. It is sitting next to a Gewurtz that is paler in tone so the honey color is really pretty.

Well, I bottled this a couple weeks ago. Wonderful. I had a very full carafe "left over". I was really enjoying a glass when the hubby tried it. He is picky about whites and loved this wine. I think it is the new house white. We were sad when the carafe was empty.

Will you have the strength and fortitude mot to let what you bottled age for a while
smiley4.gif

I think I saw bottle 29 and 28 had a label on them that said "left over". I guess that means that you can drink them too and see if this is really any good.

I'm suprisingly good at waiting. When I started this venture into winemaking a couple friends had started as well. After tasting my 'ready to drink in 4 weeks red', and spitting it out, I decided there must be more to this. In the meantime, I found George and this wonderful site. He convinced me to bottle the stuff and wait a while. Well its almost 2 years and that first batch of wine is actually enjoyable.
In the meantime, the friends I started with drink theirs almost immediately after bottling with little to no age and are frustrated at the lack of 'quality'. The quality is there,but I've learned its just gotta get some age on it.
But Waldo, this is the first white I've bottled, and we know they are early
drinkers, sooooo who knows.
smiley2.gif

Back