WineXpert Island Mist Peach Apricot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike78

Junior
Reaction score
As soon as I got my kit yesterday, I was like a kid on Christmas morning. I wanted to start it as soon as possible but I knew if I started I wouldn't get my homework done. So after several excruciatinghours I was finally able to start my wine. I must say between the directions and CD it was very simple. Now I have it fermenting and the airlock is bubbling quite nicely. I can't wait to bottle it so I can start on another kit. I never realized how addictive and fun this hobby can be. Now I am in the process of trying to figure out which wine to make next. Any suggestions for a semi sweet white wine?

I hear ya, me to. I am a newbie also and my first kit is close to finishing.
smiley32.gif
I can't wait till I can start my next one. I just can't decide what I want. I know I want a Red but which one? I just can't decide. Such decisions.
smiley19.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

According to the Winexpert product guidewhites from off-dry to sweet are:Gewurztraminer, Liebfraumilch Style, German Muller-Thurgau and Piesporter Style.

As my taste tends to be fordry wines, I haven't tried any of them (yet).I have heard good reviews on the Gewurztraminer and the Piesporter.

Piesporter with grapes from the Rhein-area are great. The best white wine (and I'm not a great white wine drinker) I ever had was from Cochem, Germany. Absolutely fantastic.

Is white the only type you can serve chilled? Or can you chill some reds also? I am not to sure on the in an outs of wine
smiley9.gif

You can chill any wine. Most of the reds will not release their full bouquet, body, or taste until they warm up a little in the glass, however. You will see what I mean when you have aged your first homemade wine. (scratch) I think you would like any of the 4 whites Joseph mentioned above ^. As a general rule, the more juice the kit contains, the more expensive it becomes, but also the higher quality it is, with exceptions.I am thinking you should try a low-to-mid range Gewurtztraminer or a mid-to-high range Muller-Thurgau. (Joseph, did we spell that right?)

BTW, it's IN the fermentor, OUTof thebottle.

smiley36.gif
Edited by: Hippie

I think I heard this in Germany, but I'm not sure.....

It's supposed to be "cellar" temp, which is usually a lot cooler than the rest of the house/winery, etc. Even reds can be cooled a little (but not too much) if it's a warm day. When I go down to my basement, it's always about 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the place.

I once went to a winery in Germany, and I think this is what they told us. I do remember that the wines were "cool" but not ice cold like they are here in the States.

But again, if you like your wines warmer, cooler, or whatever -- it's up to you!
smiley36.gif

My next white will defiantly be one of those. Probably the Gewürztraminer. We really like that one. I think that would fit what you want.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Edited by: smurfe

The following is from Wines of Germany, formerly known as the German Wine Information Bureau.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

The Müller-Thurgau, or Rivaner, is the second most widely planted grape in Germany and accounts for about a fifth of the total vineyard area. It is named after Professor Müller of Thurgau, Switzerland, who created it in 1882, by crossing Riesling and Gutedel — not, as previously assumed, Riesling and Silvaner. It yields about 30% more than Riesling and ripens earlier, usually in the latter part of September. While it requires less sun and makes few demands of the climate, it does need more rain than Riesling, as well as soil with good drainage. Its wines are generally light, with a flowery bouquet and less acidity than Riesling. Müller-Thurgau often carries a hint of Muscat in its flavor. The wines are best consumed while fresh and young. Dry versions are increasingly marketed under the synonym Rivaner. It is grown throughout German wine country.

Roter Traminer, and its better-known synonym, Gewürztraminer, or "spicy (aromatic) Traminer," is an old, traditional variety prized for the high quality of its wine. While it is frost-resistant, it does need warm vineyard sites and soil with good drainage. It begins to ripen about the end of September. Yields are quite variable (due to weather conditions) and as such, it is cultivated as a specialty rather than for its profitability. Gewürztraminer wines have a distinctive, pronounced bouquet and flavor, often compared with lychees or roses. Even when vinified dry, German Gewürztraminer is usually less austere than its Alsatian counterpart. Sweeter versions have a loyal following here, too. It is a traditional grape of the Pfalz, but is also grown in Baden, where it is known as Clevner, and in Rheinhessen.

Yes Joseph, very interesting.

My first batch is coming along nicely. It is on day 3 in the primary and the air lock is making such sweet noise. I think this weekend I will be getting ready to start another batch and the Gewürztraminer sounds like a good second wine to start on. I never realized how addicting this can be. It will be nice and rewarding when I get to bottle my first batch, I just have to remember patience, but it can be so hard sometimes.

Latest posts

Back