Is this crusher worth cleaning and using

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJoe

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was given this OLD crusher and I was wondering if it is possible to clean and sanitize it. The basket is wooden so I don't know it it will be possible to get it clean and if I did get it clean, how much work would it take to clean it properly between uses? Also, the crushing wheels have rust on them and I don't know a good, food safe method to clean them.
Maybe it's better to just keep it as a decoration?crusher.jpg

This is a traditional piece. The wood in the crusher worked for your great grandfather without modern sanitizing, it will work for you.
I have concerns about rust. Metal contamination promotes an oxidation chain reaction, which would translate into less shelf life. If I was gifted a crusher with iron rollers I would clean them and epoxy coat, then use.
As far as the cleaning, moisture contact is bad for wood equipment therefore dry the machine promptly after use.

This is a traditional piece. The wood in the crusher worked for your great grandfather without modern sanitizing, it will work for you.
I have concerns about rust. Metal contamination promotes an oxidation chain reaction, which would translate into less shelf life. If I was gifted a crusher with iron rollers I would clean them and epoxy coat, then use.
As far as the cleaning, moisture contact is bad for wood equipment therefore dry the machine promptly after use.
Thanks for the info. I will start working on it now!

Latest posts

Back