Is this cold enough to freeze fruit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, I have been here for 30 years, and I quarantee you life doesn't end when it gets super cold. Bare skin shouldn't be exposed at these temperatures. But we are not dancing naked in the streets at these temps!!!

I quarantee you those cops were only out there long enough to take that picture.

A few seconds with exposed skin won't leave you with a frostbitten skin. After -40F, I never leave the house unless I have enough gear on to be able to go to sleep in the snow and wake up with all my skin intact!

How do you think the kids feel waiting at the bus stop? In all the years I have lived here, I only remeber schools being closed once, and that was because of a freak rain/ice storm we had in January, even the cabs stopped running. We ahve 4WD drive school buses here with automatic chains. Our kids go to school here, no matter what. Poor lil sheets! You should see some of the cool and unique school bus stops/shelters people erect for their kids.

Severe cold only means severe, no different then severe heat such as they experience in Arizona.

I hate the cold, but I respect it. I could tell you bad stories about people who didn't and paid a SEVERE price. Dress for it,and respect it.

Some of the cleanest most pristine air imaginable is that you inhale when it gets past -40F.

Troy

Had -14F at 3am last night. i know that because I had to get up, get all my gear on, go down the trail to the "little building", and take care of my business, and I seen the thermometer.

Sometimes you just "gotta do what you gotta do", doesn't mean you have to like it but you have to do it anyway.

I believe it was Ghandi who said, "it may seem that whatever you do may seem insignificant, but what you do, is quite significant, indeed!"

I grew up in Adelaide Troy.. if the temp hit 40C we were all sent home from school for the day.. Schools didn't have air conditioning and most homes do..

It saves on ambulance call outs for heat stroke in students inside the classroom.

Allie

G, I'll bet I could find a whole slew of kids from Fairbanks that would be interested in the "foreign exchange" policy come around January or February!! LOL

Troy, I was one of those kids waiting for the school bus in 3rd grade I lived there. I dont have to guess how they feel, I still remember. O ya and it was 30 here today when I did the naked snow dance. Sons wife did it first time this year. Funny stuff, naked snow angles always get the people walking by attention when they see them

taking Orders for Cold Stabalization

here we go...
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=99701

guess we got to start somewhere, here we go.

not really sure if I am ready for -30F, but I will HAVE to deal with it.

I have heat the internet, a phone, food, and a TV.

I even have a ride out of here in an airplane or a truck.

I get what I need. But what do you do with three cats who line up and look out the window and cry because its cold?

I'm not lying, sad, but too frlippin bad, they are welcome to go outside if they want, but like last night when it was -14F only, you open the door and it takes your breath away. The cats looked at me like I was crazy and never did get past the "looking out the door" phase. When it gets down to like -40F (air condenses) you open the door and it is like this sulfite discussion, it will knock you on your asintgrent.

So.."talk of your cold, through the parkas fold, it stung like a driven nail.." -Robert Service

I have to say that I'm a misplaced eskimo, I think. I tend to hide when the weather heats up. I much prefer cold to hot.

Guess i have to admit to the naked snow angels. Wait!! Is it to late to not admit it? LOL Mike. Somewhere around here I have a photo of myself butt-ash naked, on my head at -40F. Don't have any good reason why, but I could prove it if I needed to. lol

oh geez, we haven't even roasted the turkey yet!!!lol
Troy

Leanne, I will keep you cold honey, as long as you agree to work on your own car at -30F.
LOL

Mike, only one came through was there suppose to be more? Wanna see em!

Mike, I almost had, an almost first ex wife, she kinda said something like that! Got so frustrated I became a wino.
:)
Troy

Been colder than hell for going on 2 weeks, our highs in the day have been-35F. It's getting old, fast. Theyre telling us ny Sunday we should "warm" up to -20F, we'll be singing in the streets. You think thats hard on vehichles? Try using an outhouse!!!LOL

well you cant do any gold mining at that temp.
Joseph

Don't bet it these old timers mined all year round! Dig a hole, burn afire, dig it out, and go again. Don't know what you're refering to. I usually use the 20 inch DBBL Rossi with 3 1/4 mags for computer repair. I found most TV's will pay attention with the .375 Mag!!!! So far I found that either one won't really fix the problem, but most times I am satisfied with the results.

LOL
Troy

Don't bet it these old timers mined all year round! Dig a hole, burn afire, dig it out, and go again. Don't know what you're refering to. I usually use the 20 inch DBBL Rossi with 3 1/4 mags for computer repair. I found most TV's will pay attention with the .375 Mag!!!! So far I found that either one won't really fix the problem, but most times I am satisfied with the results.

LOL
Troy

Sorry troy was looking at another post . as for the 50.
but as for the mining i mined in Nome. forom june utill the weather changed.
but thats anouther story.Joseph

Hmmm. We really ought to start a thread for all these interesting stories. One of you do that please? I'm too boring.

Back