Is my wine still good?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New wine maker here, I made a batch of Alicante and Moscato back in Jan. It been sitting ago in the carboy for 7 months almost and I was all ready to bottle when I noticed this mold on the top. Should dump it? Here's a pic.
DXYtK8CTziQJww288

kYvY5zf351rzqvhGA

Please help. I'm kinda pissed, but this won't stop me from trying again if it is a fail. Thanks.

I cannot see the pictures on my screen. Are you sure it is mold? Have you tasted the wine? If you have a wine thief or even a glass tube, try to get a sample without getting any of what you think is mold. If it tastes all right, it is probably okay. I would just rack it and add a 1/4 teaspoon of Metabisulfite (assuming you mean a 5 or 6 gallon carboy) and let it sit for a few weeks. Taste it again before bottling.

Try reposting your pictures so we can see what you are seeing. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick response. I haven't tasted it yet. When I saw the crap on top I didn't want to do anything.

It's a 14 gal carboy. I'd hate to dump all that wine. It looks to be only on the top, but it's been months since I've checked in on it. I have it wrapped in old t-shirts and it been in my cool basement every since Dec,29th 2015.

Try right clicking on the image or something. I'm using my phone and it's the only way I can get a photo to attach on here.

I agree with Rocky
I would try a taste below the..ew.
I would then rack and let it sit at least 2 weeks before tasting again.

Okay, a 14 gallon demijohn! That is a lot of wine and presents a slight problem if you are going to rack. I hope you have either another demijohn or three 5 gallon carboys and a pump. I still recommend racking and treating with Potassium Metabisulfite at a rate of 1/4 teaspoon per 6 gallons. In your case, that would be about 0.58 teaspoons or a heaping 1/2 teaspoon for the entire batch.

By the way, I am assuming this was made from grapes or juice. I have not seen an Alicante kit offered by anyone. How did you come upon this combination, i.e. Alicante and Moscato? I ask because years ago at home my family made our wine from Zinfandel and Muscat in a 3:1 ratio. However, there were a couple of years when the Zinfandel grapes were not so good and we used Alicante with the Muscat.

I would attempt to life the mold out of there. Perhaps, with a spoon, you could lift it out in one piece.

I would then rack and add k-meta as rocky suggests. I would even consider doubling the amount (I assume that you have never added k-meta before and have a mold infestation).

After racking and k-meta, give it a day or two and give it a taste.

One other question:.. Take a look at how your demijohn is sealed. Are you using an appropriate stopper and fermentation trap? Is the wine exposed to air at all?

Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
I would also verify that the ph is in the 3.3-3.5 range.some flower of wine like a high ph , although this looks like something else.

That's for the responses folks!

I do have another demijohn si this won't be a problem.

I used this Alicante and Moscato because that's the wine my dad would make back in the day. So I wanted to give it a shot and yes it was made from juice.

I'm just worried about getting sick. I used a cork stopper and filled the little plastic thing with brandy. Could it be from trapped air? Who that then be considered mold? Also, how do you guys normally seal your wine. Do you fill the the plastic stick thingy with brandy or some sort of other alcohol then stiick it in the cock/rubber top and then together put it onto the demijohn/carboy? or do you guys put the cock/rubber top in first and then put the plastic seal thingy on after.

Thanks again guys.

That's for the responses folks!

I do have another demijohn si this won't be a problem.

I used this Alicante and Moscato because that's the wine my dad would make back in the day. So I wanted to give it a shot and yes it was made from juice.

I'm just worried about getting sick. I used a cork stopper and filled the little plastic thing with brandy. Could it be from trapped air? Who that then be considered mold? Also, how do you guys normally seal your wine. Do you fill the the plastic stick thingy with brandy or some sort of other alcohol then stiick it in the cock/rubber top and then together put it onto the demijohn/carboy? or do you guys put the cock/rubber top in first and then put the plastic seal thingy on after.

Thanks again guys.

You're probably looking at some type of bacterial / microbial infection. If your wine has been sitting for 7 months without having KMS added to it, and there is any lapse in sanitation, those things take hold if there is enough oxygen present.

You should be using a silicone or rubber bung with an airlock on it.

You're probably looking at some type of bacterial / microbial infection. If your wine has been sitting for 7 months without having KMS added to it, and there is any lapse in sanitation, those things take hold if there is enough oxygen present.

You should be using a silicone or rubber bung with an airlock on it.

I will next time. Would you not consume this wine?

I don't know, but I'd try. Rack and double dose KMS up to 100 ppm, after trying to scoop out that stuff. Clean the heck out of all of your equipment afterwards. Let it sit for a month under airlock and topped up, and see if you've got it under control. When you do, see what it tastes like.

I don't think I would rack it just yet. Judging from the picture you have headspace happening. So what you got growing is in response to that. Racking it could mix it throughout the entire wine and add more oxygen causing it to continue. I would remove what I could of the fuzz and Hit it with so2, 50ppm would be my goal. Then get some glass marbles and drop them in to remove the headspace. I would also taste it and check for off odors. If you can sample taste just below the junk, and its fine that's good, if you smell something like nail Polish remover, not so good but no reason to panick until you get a sample from mid carboy. If good there then you should be OK, but you will need to hit it again in another week some more so2 . But most importantly keep the air off of it.

If you are still worried about getting sick, there are very few naturally occurring microbes that can survive in wine and harm you. Give the wine a swirl-spit taste, you should be safe.

Have to seriously question your judgement in using brandy in the airlock. Tsk Tsk - YOU should be drinking the brandy. :dg

IF you have some K-meta cleaning solution I'd put that in the air lock. It's just a barrier against free floating bacteria and bugs. I usually change the solution in mine about once a month.

Good luck on killing off the mold invasion and hope the end wine is a grand success. - just don't waste anymore brandy in that airlock

Latest posts

Back