Is it too late for a Holiday Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneStarLori

Veteran wino, newbie vintner
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this but have several empty primaries right now and that makes me anxious.
Is there a nice holiday themed (not Pineapple) wine that would be ready by christmas if I start today? I'm thinking only a gallon. That should get my daughters and I through Christmas dinner.

Have you tried the Dragons Blood yet. You would have to cut the recipe back to a gallon. Its red!! Its good and you can tweak it to your taste.
We were just going over this in anther thread. I wouldn't try anything unless is one of the early drinking kits. Those are also 6 gal. I mean you can try make anything you want just not sure it willl be at it best in 3 months. Jack Keller site has a lot of recipes for 1 gallon recipes but not sure about the time limit. Here is the Dragons Blood if your interested. Im not sure what the ingredients will be for only one gallon. Its a long thread you might actually find it in there somewhere. You can add cranberry juice
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f2/dragon-blood-triple-berry-skeeter-pee-33076/

Last edited:
I had read the Dragon blood thread the other day. (Well most of it) . I think it's a real possibility using cranberries. Maybe using juice and as well as dried cranberries.
I have scoured Jacks site too and he is real big on waiting at least a year on most of his recipes.
Leaning toward the dragon blood with a few mods.

Thanks for the suggestion.

You could also get a 6 gallon (I know you want only one) 6 week kit. These are pretty good and will be ready in plenty of time for Christmas. Plus it will give you extra bottles to give away as gifts.

Almost any white wine would be ready by the Holidays. Especially Sauv Blanc, Pinot Gris, and Riesling. Not enough time to do any Red any real justice IMHO.

A couple of thoughts
1. Cranberry SP/DB sounds awesome
2. I think the party wines like island mist wrap up pretty quick.
3. You could always label them as do not drink before **/**/**
4. You have an excuse to get yourself an early Christmas gift... a six gallon carboy.

Bill C.

I have to agree with everyone but its your decision. You can do the one gallon of dragons blood absolutely with the cranberries but, Id invest in a 6 gal carboy and have it for gifts and age some if you want. They have quite a few kits that include cranberry that would work or the DB would be good also

Think of all them pretty little personalized Christmas labels

Last edited by a moderator:
Your'e right, that is a great excuse to get another 6 gal. :db

I currently have a 3 gal black currant from a Vinters Reserve can still bubbling, a 5 gl muscadine from my back yard stabilized and will back sweeten this evening , and 6 gal WE Mezza Luna white which I am tweaking using Joeswine raisin addition. it's almost dry. That will probably be the 'real' Christmas wine.
I have that one posted on his almond (aka experimental) thread.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f61/almond-wine-9155/index21.html my post starts at #203

Although i've only been at this about 2 months, I have already discovered that no matter what I have brewing, it is not easy to just sit back and wait to see how it comes out. I just keep making more like it's going to come out of the oven like a cake.

Regarding the Dragons blood, is it real foo foo fruity? Like a Rose? Or can it be made more serious?

I dont think your going to get anything serious in 3 months. Its fruity but you can adjust the sugar so it not so sweet

Your'e right, that is a great excuse to get another 6 gal. :db

I currently have a 3 gal black currant from a Vinters Reserve can still bubbling, a 5 gl muscadine from my back yard stabilized and will back sweeten this evening , and 6 gal WE Mezza Luna white which I am tweaking using Joeswine raisin addition. it's almost dry. That will probably be the 'real' Christmas wine.
I have that one posted on his almond (aka experimental) thread.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f61/almond-wine-9155/index21.html my post starts at #203

Although i've only been at this about 2 months, I have already discovered that no matter what I have brewing, it is not easy to just sit back and wait to see how it comes out. I just keep making more like it's going to come out of the oven like a cake.

I dont know why you wouldnt be able to use them. Slap a Christmas Label on them and your good. its a Christmas wine. Personally I think they would all work anyway. The Vinters Reserve you might want to age more but crack a bottle open just before Christmas and decide

I dont know why you wouldnt be able to use them. Slap a Christmas Label on them and your good. its a Christmas wine. Personally I think they would all work anyway. The Vinters Reserve you might want to age more but crack a bottle open just before Christmas and decide

you bet I will. Whether they are drinkers or not. EVERYone gets a bottle.
I'm also going to do the DB with cranberry and probably a little orange zest.
Great advice all!

you bet I will. Whether they are drinkers or not. EVERYone gets a bottle.
I'm also going to do the DB with cranberry and probably a little orange zest.
Great advice all!

Now that sounds really good. Keep us posted. I wanna know how it works out!!

Lori,

Take out a gallon of the muscadine you have aging, put it in a gallon jug, add a 1/2 stick of cinnamon and one clove, leave it in for 6 weeks.

When I think of a Christmas wine I think it should be more heavier than what you would get with Dragon's Blood, this is good as a summer drink but I'm not seeing it as a winter drink. I think more on a red wine and like ibglowin has said you don't have enough time to make a red for Christmas. Muscadine has that slight spice finish so adding these spices will compliment it and give a very nice Christmas atmosphere. One of the things we do at Christmas time and it is becoming a tradition is drinking a mulled wine. My husband and I visit with his and my families during the afternoon of Christmas Eve, we are home by 7:00 pm and we make a mulled wine out of my Zinfindal and sit down and watch A Christmas Story. It has become one of the favorite things for us to drink and this year my son and his finance will be here to join us. He hasn't been home for Christmas for almost 5 years.

Lori,

Take out a gallon of the muscadine you have aging, put it in a gallon jug, add a 1/2 stick of cinnamon and one clove, leave it in for 6 weeks.

When I think of a Christmas wine I think it should be more heavier than what you would get with Dragon's Blood, this is good as a summer drink but I'm not seeing it as a winter drink. I think more on a red wine and like ibglowin has said you don't have enough time to make a red for Christmas. Muscadine has that slight spice finish so adding these spices will compliment it and give a very nice Christmas atmosphere. One of the things we do at Christmas time and it is becoming a tradition is drinking a mulled wine. My husband and I visit with his and my families during the afternoon of Christmas Eve, we are home by 7:00 pm and we make a mulled wine out of my Zinfindal and sit down and watch A Christmas Story. It has become one of the favorite things for us to drink and this year my son and his finance will be here to join us. He hasn't been home for Christmas for almost 5 years.

funny you say add a clove. I was thinking of doing that to the cranberry DB but thought y'all might think I'm nuts. Cinnamon and clove are Christmas in my mind. I think taking out some of the Muscadine is a great idea. Although that might leave me a little shy of a full carboy. After I add the grape extract and additional sugar of needed, I should have almost a gallon. Just enough to play with. If not, there is marbles.
Our Christmas tradition is almost like yours, except its Christmas Story and wine while cooking Christmas dinner with my girls on Christmas day. Great minds, huh?
Your Christmas is going to be extra special this year so you might want to make extra Zin.

Listen to Julie she know what she talking about!!

Holiday wine

:try Lori, here's what I would do if I didn't have extracts and didn't have a plan already set in place. I would pick up a pomegranate zinfandel kit island mist I will process the kit out ,that would then give me the fruit I need in the medium to work with, also the appropriate color for the season ,to that I would add some orange zest and 1/2 stick of cinnamon both would be inserted after the wine is completed but not before chems and fining agent are used then wait two weeks taste and decide or wait a little longer or bottle.,got it !:HB

:HB Now you not only have the fruit forward taste of the holiday you'll be adding some orange and some cinnamon stick(1/2 only) which gives it the flare of a holiday wine in short order .......... now me
. I always have some plum wine on the side so ,When the holidays roll around I have the plum -the orange and cinnamon. as directed above. . Always in Extract form and ready to use.:HB .And these are quick turnaround kits.................. sounds good?:wy

Last edited:
I love it when the big dogs come out in the evening!! Its a great forum Lori!! Lots of good help here!!

I have some apple pie that I plan on bottling in time for Thanksgiving. I started it in Feb. But it was drinkable at 3-4 months. But out of this world next year.

Wow! so many ideas! I think I'll do them all. I have nothing but time on my hands (usually).
I'll get the the pomegranate kit so I HAVE to buy a new carboy.
And... I will make the tweak on the Muscadine. I am so exited!
Thanks big dogs!:snta

I have some apple pie that I plan on bottling in time for Thanksgiving. I started it in Feb. But it was drinkable at 3-4 months. But out of this world next year.
I'd like to see that recipe. Do you have a link?

One of our holiday wines is
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064F36U6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is a mist type kit and ready in several weeks but we are aging until the holidays and it is tasting really good now so will be better by then.

Also have Apple Pie aging for the holidays too. Will be more than ready by then.

Brother will be here again as he makes the drive from MI to his winter home in FL. He is a big wine drinker and will take a couple of cases of assorted wine with him.

Latest posts

Back