WineXpert Is it still Good

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a kit that dates to 2006. It is the Selection Estate Sonoma Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay. Is this still any good?

There is no directions or any chemicals with it just the juice. If it is still good how can I get a set of directions and what chems do I need?

Look at the juice. If its dark brown Id throw it out. If the color isnt too bad or looks normal Id give it a try but throw away the yeast and get a new packet for sure at that age.

Whites oxidize even faster than reds.

You might try to taste the concentrate. It probably won't hurt you, even if it is bad. It likely has turned to wine or vinegar by now.

And trouble is, much of the Chardonnay kit juice is already pretty brown, even after water is added and before fermentation. If it were a red I might try to ferment it, but because it is a white, I would toss it.

If it isn't obviously oxidized, for $10 bucks to replace the chemicals/yeast, what have you got to lose except a bit of time.

Cheers

I had an RJ Spagnols Chenin Blanc kit that had a few years on it, not quite like yours though. I used the chemicals, but got new yeast, and smelled the juice before mixing. It still smelled sweet, so I mixed it up and waited. Other than the color being slightly off, there is nothing wrong with it, and it has now been in the bottle for two years or so. Quite a few people have tried it and liked it. Nice and dry, and crisp with no off flavors(and the people who tried it would be able to pick up any flavor flaws due to oxidation), just what you would expect from a Chenin Blanc. It is nice having local friends who are wine and beer judges.

Latest posts

Back