is it a waste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry

Reaction score
hello folks me again. This past sat. I started a couple batches I put brew belts on them as the basement is only about 54-55.neither one has hit temp. staying around 60. is it a waste of time to add the yeast? Or should I dump them.One is a OB strawerry the other is a malbec.

Myself,I would do whatever it takes to raise must temp t 75-80.Then-pitch a well started yeast.

use a electric blanket or heating pad. if using a heating pad put a blanket over the carboy and pad to keep in the heat. . juice is find go for it.

It's not the safest practice on a boat but some people install a light bulb or 2 in their engine compartment during the winter to protect from freezing. If you could somehow rig up some kind of a tent around your fermenting vessels I bet it would do the trick. Perhaps even a blanket of some kind around them might help keep in the heat from the belts.

Find room in a warmer part of your house and move the buckets out of the basement. Many of us brew upstairs and bulk age, bottle and bottle age in the basement.

I ferment in my office where the temp is a steady 72 degrees F , then move to the storm cellar (50-55Degrees) when the fermentation slows.
Find a place where you can store the must for the primary fermentation.

I believe ec1118 is good to 55degrees as the temperature drops the yeast slows down but is still active it might take long keep using your hydrometer that will give you better direction.

I ferment in a 55 degree basement as well. I've had good luck using the reflective windshield sun screens as an insulating blanket. The thicker the padding the better. I just wrap it around (makes about 1.75 laps around the Big Bubbler) and secure it with a couple pieces of duct tape. If you really want the temp to climb wrap a thick towel around the top to trap the heat even better.

I ferment in a 55 degree basement as well. I've had good luck using the reflective windshield sun screens as an insulating blanket. The thicker the padding the better. I just wrap it around (makes about 1.75 laps around the Big Bubbler) and secure it with a couple pieces of duct tape. If you really want the temp to climb wrap a thick towel around the top to trap the heat even better.

That's a really good idea. Even better might be the thin foil blankets, I think you can get them at sporting goods stores. I got one at the end of a marathon and was AMAZED at how much heat they keep in. Apparently they were designed for astronauts. The windshield screen may be the same stuff and work exactly the same, I don't know. Great idea though.

Latest posts

Back