Is dandelion wine worth the work? Opinions please!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liquid Sunshine (Dandelion Wine - 5 gallons)

divide by 5 for a gallon batch---BREWING TEMP BETWEEN 65 f AND70 f

Dandelion Wine, however, you enjoy it is up to you but enjoy it you will as this recipe never fails me so here we go.

Dandelion flowers 5 Dry Qts. - Or any container with the capacity to hold 24 oz water will have the same volume and work just fine. -Dandelion Petals pressed down lightly. (If weighing them 9 to 10 oz per gallon)

two-pound golden raisins, chopped by hand or food processor

5 Oranges, 5 lemons washed, zested real good add fruit and juice no pith.

A large ginger root (size of a man’s hand) peeled and grated, or use a food processor and save time

5 Tea bags brewed in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes, make it strong (you want the tannin)

12 up to 14 pounds of white sugar. (Store Brand)

I suggest you buy these at a Homebrew Store or eBay I have had no trouble with my purchases

1 packet Champagne Yeast,

Campden Tablets either (potassium or sodium metabisulphite),

Yeast Nutrient optional (will make a better)

Hot Mix Sparkaloid Clarifier

Bring to low boil the flower petals in 6 qts of water then simmer for 30 minutes in non-reactive pot Enamel, Teflon or Stainless Steel and allow to cool. Then strain thru a colander and press liquid from blossoms into a glass or stainless-steel bowl with a strong spoon.

Discard blossoms or eat like spinach or dry further on towel and use for Dandelion fritters.

YEAST SHOULD BE HYDRATED IN WATER NOT TO EXCED 100 TO105 F. A ½ CUP OF WATER TEASPOON SUGAR AND STIR GENTLY DISOLVED SOME FOAM IS PRESENT AFTER BEING ALLOWED SET. WHEN FOAM SEEMS VIGOROUSPOUR YOU MAY REMOVE CLOTH COVER AND POUR ON TOP OF MIXTURE AND PRESS IN LIGHTLT WITH A CLEAN SPOON AND COVER.WAIT 2 DAY TO CKECK AND SIT.

Add liquid to fermentation vessel along with sugar, crush any additive tablets and add. Add 60–65-degree water until you have reached the 5 gallon mark. If you have a Hydrometer your specific Gravity reading should be around 1.115 with a potential alcohol of 15% - less sugar, less alcohol more sugar more alcohol but don't be tempted to go to high as this can lead to stuck fermentation Champagne yeast it is tolerant.

Now it is time to add the yeast cover primary fermenter with a towel and stir daily pushing down fruit cap. If using a glass crock or SS Pot cover it with a clean folded tea towel and find a cover to seal the lid firmly. If using a gallon bottle use a party balloon to cover the opening. A clean, dry nonlubricated condom will work fine too. Just remember to burb the air or you many have Rocket Man making appearance.

Champagne yeast almost always ferments out dry and you may want to back sweeten it later on. During the three weeks press the fruit down with a clean spoon twice daily. After 3 weeks remove all fruit and strain thru colander and cheese cloth. place in secondary fermenter with a air lock

Then rack of sediment in 6 weeks repeat until clear around 4-5 months then enjoy. Optional - Use Sparkolloid clarifier after second racking for a crystal clear wine.

You may want to back sweeten it to your taste

If you sweeten you should add Potassium Sorbate as a preservative. Also add one crushed vitamin C tablet (ascorbic acid) to each bottle to preserve color and freshness at bottling, enjoy!

Attachments

• wine 1.jpg
    wine 1.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 2
  • wine2.jpg
    wine2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 2
  • dandelion wine.jpg
    dandelion wine.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 2
made it 2-3 times before and liked it. only problem is having enough will power to collect enough flowers. something i sorely lack. also why i newer made saskatoon wine. chokecherry yes. almost every year. give it a try. especialy if you can get help to pick.

I think you all just saved (scared) me a lot of time trying it. Just curious with all the other flavors in the recipe does dandelion flowers add much besides color?

Sit on the ground and crawl around. No bending, and you only have to get up once. ;)
I'm committed - tomorrow's the day!

Your plan would work great if I was awash in dandelions. I have patches everywhere and for the most part they're about 15-20 feet apart. I expect to start off with "Jesus H Christ!" going from one patch to another. In short order my language will become MUCH more colorful.

I think you all just saved (scared) me a lot of time trying it. Just curious with all the other flavors in the recipe does dandelion flowers add much besides color?
Dandelion wine Liquid Sunshine it doesn't get any better!
You really should try to make it nothing like it my most requested wine next to Strawberry Rhubarb and Red Current

Dandelion Wine, however, you enjoy it is up to you but enjoy it you will as this recipe never fails me so here we go.

Dandelion flowers 5 Dry Qts. - Or any container with the capacity to hold 24 oz water will have the same volume and work just fine. -Dandelion Petals pressed down lightly. (If weighing them 9 to 10 oz per gallon)

A large ginger root (size of a man’s hand) peeled and grated, or use a food processor and save time

5 Tea bags brewed in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes, make it strong (you want the tannin)

I suggest you buy these at a Homebrew Store or eBay I have had no trouble with my purchases

Bring to low boil the flower petals in 6 qts of water then simmer for 30 minutes in non-reactive pot Enamel, Teflon or Stainless Steel and allow to cool. Then strain thru a colander and press liquid from blossoms into a glass or stainless-steel bowl with a strong spoon.

Discard blossoms or eat like spinach or dry further on towel and use for Dandelion fritters.

YEAST SHOULD BE HYDRATED IN WATER NOT TO EXCED 100 TO105 F. A ½ CUP OF WATER TEASPOON SUGAR AND STIR GENTLY DISOLVED SOME FOAM IS PRESENT AFTER BEING ALLOWED SET. WHEN FOAM SEEMS VIGOROUSPOUR YOU MAY REMOVE CLOTH COVER AND POUR ON TOP OF MIXTURE AND PRESS IN LIGHTLT WITH A CLEAN SPOON AND COVER.WAIT 2 DAY TO CKECK AND SIT.

Add liquid to fermentation vessel along with sugar, crush any additive tablets and add. Add 60–65-degree water until you have reached the 5 gallon mark. If you have a Hydrometer your specific Gravity reading should be around 1.115 with a potential alcohol of 15% - less sugar, less alcohol more sugar more alcohol but don't be tempted to go to high as this can lead to stuck fermentation Champagne yeast it is tolerant.

Now it is time to add the yeast cover primary fermenter with a towel and stir daily pushing down fruit cap. If using a glass crock or SS Pot cover it with a clean folded tea towel and find a cover to seal the lid firmly. If using a gallon bottle use a party balloon to cover the opening. A clean, dry nonlubricated condom will work fine too. Just remember to burb the air or you many have Rocket Man making appearance.

Champagne yeast almost always ferments out dry and you may want to back sweeten it later on. During the three weeks press the fruit down with a clean spoon twice daily. After 3 weeks remove all fruit and strain thru colander and cheese cloth. place in secondary fermenter with a air lock

Then rack of sediment in 6 weeks repeat until clear around 4-5 months then enjoy. Optional - Use Sparkolloid clarifier after second racking for a crystal clear wine.

If you sweeten you should add Potassium Sorbate as a preservative. Also add one crushed vitamin C tablet (ascorbic acid) to each bottle to preserve color and freshness at bottling, enjoy!

i feel your pain. Never made it but I have drunk it. My dear departed mother made several batches of dandelion wine way back. I can‘t remember how we actually found a bottle that was about 3 years old, but Wow. It sure aged well. She even picked dandelions out of the neighbors yard. I thought she was crazy. Now I know it just runs in the family. (Craziness and winemaking)

edited: oooh, oooh, dandelion-ginger !

I made dandelion wine once and that;s it for me. It took as much work to make 4 bottles of dandelion as it does to make 6 gallons of grape or elderberry, or almost any other fruit. It was a nice wine but definitely not great enough to justify the effort. I could probably make 20 gallons of skeeter pee or dragon blood with that much effort.
I expect the day to be somewhat tortuous. I know it's going to be work. IMO if you're serious about this hobby you need to take leave of your senses and make this at least once. It's like a Merit Badge!

Seriously thought is it almost the same if you make it without the dandelions? Zest, ginger, juice etc will probably dominate. Yes or no?

Seriously thought is it almost the same if you make it without the dandelions? Zest, ginger, juice etc will probably dominate. Yes or no?
Exactly my thought. I'm sure it's good but my first attempt will be bare bones dandelion. Once the aggravation and pain is forgotten - or at least tempered - I may try other versions. Who am I kidding? Free raw materials? Yeah, I'll try other recipes.

No it will not dominate flower wines need a little help they have no acid, tannins and the zested peel and ginger are to compliment the flavor of the Dandelion. Like when you cook spices are added to bring out the natural goodness.

Yes it is good when made with care and a tried and true recipe I've been making it for over forty years so here you go -

It's our most sought after wine, and we do pretty much what you outlined.

And we're off!
Picked about 3 quarts of flowers. Some of them were massive! I was very surprised how relaxing the entire process was. Start to finish maybe about 1 1/2 hours. The effort involved will not deter me from making it again. First batch will be bare bones, old school dandelion wine. I'd like to make another with other additional ingredients to compare.

One thing I noticed, right from the start it was "Hell no I'm not bending for just one flower!" And then it was two...and then three...

20220424_104404.jpg

Latest posts

Back