Is Chitosan an alternative wine spoilage agent? Some scientist say "Yes"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Wargo

Enthusiast DIYer
Reaction score
I came across this webinar while searching for alternatives to Lysozyme and Malolactic Fermentation. Link to the video presentation that speaks to the antimicrobial ability of Chitosan
60-minute informational webinar that will include the following topics:
  • Microbial control
  • Alternatives to SO2
  • Malolactic bacteria spoilage
  • Brettanomyces spoilage

https://www.enartis.com/en-us/video...-chitosan-application-during-wine-maturation/

Interesting but still unsure about a few things.... I really would prefer not using SO2 if possible so this intrigues me.

1) The gram negative bacteria (Acetobacter and Glucanobacter) requires 30 g/HL to be effective but these chitosan products have a legal limit of 15 & 20 g/HL. I'm still to new at this to know how much of these Gram + cause problems other than the invasion of fruit flies. So I wonder is this is really a concern about spoilage if using this instead of SO2 if there are not fruit flies.

2) The study shows how it prevents MLF but it also states about using it to help prevent spoilage during cold soak for red wine. Likely timing and dosage similar to SO2 but not sure what the dosage and timing should be. Also wonder about impact with different yeast stains.

As always more to learn. One of the reasons I like this hobby. Need to go down the rabbit hole a little farther before adopting.

Interesting but still unsure about a few things.... I really would prefer not using SO2 if possible so this intrigues me.

1) The gram negative bacteria (Acetobacter and Glucanobacter) requires 30 g/HL to be effective but these chitosan products have a legal limit of 15 & 20 g/HL. I'm still to new at this to know how much of these Gram + cause problems other than the invasion of fruit flies. So I wonder is this is really a concern about spoilage if using this instead of SO2 if there are not fruit flies.

2) The study shows how it prevents MLF but it also states about using it to help prevent spoilage during cold soak for red wine. Likely timing and dosage similar to SO2 but not sure what the dosage and timing should be. Also wonder about impact with different yeast stains.

As always more to learn. One of the reasons I like this hobby. Need to go down the rabbit hole a little farther before adopting.
I think the video was published 2/2020. So this might be fairly new information available for a few home winemakers. I use Chitosan as a clearing agent, good to know that it adds some spoilage protection. Also, interesting is the bacteria SO2 resistance mentioned in the video.

I came across this webinar while searching for alternatives to Lysozyme and Malolactic Fermentation. Link to the video presentation that speaks to the antimicrobial ability of Chitosan
60-minute informational webinar that will include the following topics:
  • Microbial control
  • Alternatives to SO2
  • Malolactic bacteria spoilage
  • Brettanomyces spoilage

https://www.enartis.com/en-us/video...-chitosan-application-during-wine-maturation/
Thanks for the reference to the webinar. Incredibly informative. That has changed a bit of my thinking, as I choose not to filter my wines. i have some Pinot Noir in bulk at present which needs bottling so I may give it the Chitosan treatment this week and bottle next month.cheers again for the reference video

Latest posts

Back