Inverted sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannabarn

Reaction score
Does anyone use inverted sugar in lieu of regular sugar water to raise the s.g. when starting fruit wine?

inverted sugar is easier for yeast to eat, but they don't seem to mind eating the regular stuff, so I don't bother with that anymore. I used to, but did not see any benefits.

OK thanks, Dean. I think I read somewhere that it improved the flavor in fruit wines, but if it doesn't then I can't see any benefit to using it!

I just make a sugar syrup which is one of the essential steps in inverting the sugar and figure that's good enough.

I invert the bag when I dump it in. Does that count?

Actually sometimes I really do dissolve it in water and bring almost to a boil, but I have never made a true invert sugar.

I just dump it in warm water and use the mix stir(drill mounted) and it mixes it up well. Never used inverted.

I guess there is no advantage in going the extra step and making a true inverted sugar. I was just curious. I guess inverting the bag will suffice!

Back