Does anyone have an invert sugar recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulalah.reedy

Junior
Reaction score
I have googled invert sugar recipes, and found one and used it, as follows: 1 Kilo sugar, 1 gram citric acid, 480 ml water. Cook mixture and boil to 236 degrees Fahrenheit and then take off heat and cool. It appears to have turned out nicely and I’m going to use it to backsweeten a batch of cranberry/raspberry/tart cherry wine I have clearing now. I just wonder if anyone has any input on this. Many Thanks!

I made it once out of curiosity. It's good during fermentation since the sucrose is broken down to glucose and fructose making life easier for the yeast, saving them a step. If I make it again it may be for my baking rather than wine making. I am curious, though, if there's a difference when used for back sweetening. Hmm...sounds like bench tests are in my future.

I made it once out of curiosity. It's good during fermentation since the sucrose is broken down to glucose and fructose making life easier for the yeast, saving them a step. If I make it again it may be for my baking rather than wine making. I am curious, though, if there's a difference when used for back sweetening. Hmm...sounds like bench tests are in my future.
A slight caramelization might make for a interesting experiment!

I am curious, though, if there's a difference when used for back sweetening. Hmm...sounds like bench tests are in my future.
Invert sugar is already broken down into its glucose and fructose components, as you said. One feature of invert sugar is that it's sweeter when those components separate. Another way to invert sugar is by putting it in alcohol, such as when back sweetening. So, when you back sweeten with sugar until it tastes right to you, in time the sugar separates into glucose and fructose and becomes sweeter than you intended. This is why people say to add sugar until it's almost as sweet as you like it. Using sugar that's fully inverted should keep it from sweetening over time. Assuming it's fully inverted, that is. Some say you need to keep it at just under boiling for at least an hour. So bringing it to a boil and letting it cool may not allow it to fully invert. It may just be simple syrup or partially invert at that point.
A slight caramelization might make for a interesting experiment!
I accidentally caramelized a batch by leaving it on the stove overnight. It does make a difference in flavor, at least in the Dragon's Blood I added it to. I also added it to a bottle of mead with disappointing results so far. It seemed to make the honey notes disappear.

Invert sugar can be made by dissolving two parts sugar into one part water, adding two teaspoons lemon juice per pound of sugar, bringing this almost to a boil, and holding it there for 30 minutes (DO NOT allowing it to boil). If not to be used immediately upon cooling, this can be poured into a sealable jar, sealed and cooled in the refrigerator. Invert sugar should NOT be used to sweeten finished wine as it will encourage refermentation.

Ok… I thought the whole point of using invert sugar to backsweeten is because invert sugar WILL NOT FERMENT… I’ve read this from several many sources… Anybody know anything more on this?

Ok… I thought the whole point of using invert sugar to backsweeten is because invert sugar WILL NOT FERMENT… I’ve read this from several many sources… Anybody know anything more on this?
You are correct in it is what almost everyone uses to back sweeten. As Craig mentioned you just have to make sure you use the proper amounts of sorbate and sulfites.

And it’s my understanding that it needs to come up to at least 236 degrees Fahrenheit and then simmer for a half hour or so for the process to be complete. Cooking for longer periods of time may cause it to carmelize
You are correct in it is what almost everyone uses to back sweeten. As Craig mentioned you just have to make sure you use the proper amounts of sorbate and sulfites.
Yes, this is my understanding! I left out the part about using potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite, which are key! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back