In need of a helping press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning to make a trip to get some grapes this weekend and I just finished hand squeezing 100 lbs of grapes and really don't want to do anymore that way. I don't have the money to purchase a grape press right now and don't know anyone that has a press that I could borrow or use. So I decided to post here to see if there is anyone who might be close enough to help a fellow winemaker out. I would only need it Sunday or Monday depending on when I can borrow it. If I can borrow it Sunday would be the best because that is when I will be making the trip to get them and I could press them right then. However if I can't get it for Sunday then I would like to get it Monday afternoon and bring it back Tuesday afternoon.

If you are close or know someone close to me that would be willing to help me out I can donate some juice to them or you for it. Right now I don't know how much I am getting but from what I understand it is basically as many as I can pick. But I don't want to ware out my welcome either.

I know your pain, hand pressing is not fun and it can be wasteful, too.

Some places that have grapes have been known to trade grapes for a couple of bottle of your finished wine. They furnish the grapes and press, you give them a couple of bottles of wine. If the vineyard has a press, I would give that a try.

I don't know how far you are from the nearest LHBS but many of them have presses to rent.

I hope you find a press and don't have to do the manual pressing. Good luck.

Last edited:
well he has the grapes now lol I know for sure cause I helped him get them I think he got a few more than he'd planned....

He can make a three-bucket press, get several 5-gallon paint strainer bags, and it will still be better than squeezing them in a bag by hand.

Compared to a nice press, still lots of work, though and a little more wasted wine.

I am planning to make a trip to get some grapes this weekend and I just finished hand squeezing 100 lbs of grapes and really don't want to do anymore that way. I don't have the money to purchase a grape press right now and don't know anyone that has a press that I could borrow or use. So I decided to post here to see if there is anyone who might be close enough to help a fellow winemaker out. I would only need it Sunday or Monday depending on when I can borrow it. If I can borrow it Sunday would be the best because that is when I will be making the trip to get them and I could press them right then. However if I can't get it for Sunday then I would like to get it Monday afternoon and bring it back Tuesday afternoon.

If you are close or know someone close to me that would be willing to help me out I can donate some juice to them or you for it. Right now I don't know how much I am getting but from what I understand it is basically as many as I can pick. But I don't want to ware out my welcome either.

how much did you get pw?

You know, this thread makes me wonder if we can't have some kind of post letting people know if we have a resource available to help others in our respective areas.

I ended up with five 5 gallon bucket full.
1 - bronze
2 - big red
3 - noble
check out the other post about the scuppernong recipe, it is all detailed in there.
I will eventually post it to my blog as well.

DasK thats a good idea.

You know, this thread makes me wonder if we can't have some kind of post letting people know if we have a resource available to help others in our respective areas.

DasK, we do. It's our map where everyone can list their location and then you can contact those folks in your area. The members in Pittsburg area do this all the time.the

Back