Impatient??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astebbi1

Reaction score
Hey guys I might be having some problems with my latest batch, just wanted to know what you all thought of it.
I'm using welches grape juice concentrate and a bunch of sugar. I got the potential ABV up to around 14 and 1/2% then pitched my yeast.
It's been 29days and I just took a reading and it was down to about 7%..
I'm not sure if this is a problem since my only other successful batch went from 12% to 0% in about 29days so I was expecting this one to be at 2-3% by those standards..
I think I'm just being impatient (hah just drank the last bottle from my last batch 2 days ago) but I want to make sure everything's all good with it.
Also it's still bubbling in the carboy and through the airlock so it's not done fermenting which gives me some peace of mind but at this rate am I going to have to wait another month??
Thanks guys looking forward to your wisdom on this..

Here's the yeast I used if that may have anything to do with it..

image-4046836362.jpg

-Andrew

What's your SG?

If its above about 1.050, try whipping some air into it.. You mention you have it under airlock, and if its been there the whole time its probably starved of oxygen.

Did you add any yeast nutrient or yeast energizer when you started this batch?

Don't want to alarm you but keep a nose out for rotten egg smell of Hydrogen sulfide (H2S) with that yeast and a long ferment. As Deezil mentioned yeast nutrient and oxygen wouldn't hurt if your specific gravity is still at 1.050. The Alcohol Tolerance of Montrachet is 13% so you might not finish dry.

Like said above this yeast is nutrient dependent and without tends to produce H2S (sulphur) without it. This yeast should be used with nutrient and or energizer to reduce the risk of this problem and keep the temps up. It really sounds like the temp is too cool right now, if below say 68* get it up around there. I like this yeast but it has to be kept in check to get it to work good and do its job.

Deezil said:
What's your SG?

If its above about 1.050, try whipping some air into it.. You mention you have it under airlock, and if its been there the whole time its probably starved of oxygen.

Did you add any yeast nutrient or yeast energizer when you started this batch?

Thanks Deezil its at about a 1.054 right now without using any nutrients or energizers.. How should I go about putting air in it??
I have a drill with a coathanger attachment I use for degassing but should I rack it once first or just whip it up with the sediment still in there??

SBWs said:
Don't want to alarm you but keep a nose out for rotten egg smell of Hydrogen sulfide (H2S) with that yeast and a long ferment. As Deezil mentioned yeast nutrient and oxygen wouldn't hurt if your specific gravity is still at 1.050. The Alcohol Tolerance of Montrachet is 13% so you might not finish dry.

Damn I thought its tolerance was 15% when I started this batch, what kind of nutrient do you recommend??

Wade E said:
Like said above this yeast is nutrient dependent and without tends to produce H2S (sulphur) without it. This yeast should be used with nutrient and or energizer to reduce the risk of this problem and keep the temps up. It really sounds like the temp is too cool right now, if below say 68* get it up around there. I like this yeast but it has to be kept in check to get it to work good and do its job.

Thanks wade it was a little cold (maybe 60) but I have a heater set up now that should help.. No rotten egg smell yet but I'm considering buying some nutrients for it..

At this point I'd use Fermax Yeast Nutrient @ 1/2 tsp per gallon.

Thanks for the advice guys, put some heat on the carboy and it's fermenting a lot better now!!

Latest posts

Back