WineXpert IM Black Raspberry Merlot Sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiphorn

Junior
Reaction score
I made an IM Black Raspberry Merlot. It turned out great except for some sediment in the bottom of the bottle. The first three glasses from the bottle are crystal clear but the person who gets the last (usually me) ends up with a fairly cloudy glass.

I racked from the carboy to my bottling bucket. I stuck the auto siphon into the bottom of the carboy and took off about 1/2 bottle of wine before putting the hose back into the bucket.

The flavor is great but I was wondering about the sediment. Do most of you rack a second time for further clarification? I was thinking about filtering but my Gewürztraminer (my very first kit) has no sediment. MySangiovese has only been in the bottle two months and I'm trying to hold off until 3 months before sampling so I'm not sure about that one.

I'm getting ready to start the Pomegranate Zinfandel for my wife and I'd like to avoid the sediment if possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I will keep racking until there is nothing dropping for at least a month. I made that same mistake when I first started with one of those kits also but almost every kit will do that as the heavy sediment falls first then the fine stuff that you really cant see falls later slowly and thats the stuff that always gets the bottles.

I have the same problem from the same kit. I racked it several time but still had problems.

I had the same problem with the same kit! I actually let it clear for almost 2 weeks longer than the kit called for and filtered it with #2 filters with a mini jet filter system. I also justfinished a IM Blueberry Pinot Noir 2 weeks ago and it's doing the same thing!? I've made probably 80 kits and these are the first ones I've ever had problems with. Wondering if they may have been old kits.
smiley6.gif

I may be wrong but i have learned that any wine with an f-pack seems to need about an extra month in the carboy after its added to allow the fallout thus clearing a little better for you. Just my advice.

Back