Im back! Appel!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the ABV was too high for the yeast being used? Did you use a wine yeast? Curious, as maybe my effort is doomed to failure.

I used EC-1118 and I had added enough brown sugar in the primary to get up around 9%... I fermented dry and added 1-2 cups (I forget exactly how much) of COOKING splenda (ie 1 cup splenda=1 cup sugar). Also added 200 grams dextrose. Stirred it up and bottled it. Maybe there is something in the cooking splenda vs the more concentrated packet version which threw off the bottle carb ferment.

Interesting. I assume this is for 5 gallons? Ill be adding 500 grams of dextrose to carb up. I wonder if there just wasn't enough fermentable sugars to significantly carb it up? I dont know much about Splenda, so I have no info on that.

Thanks for the welcome.

You make it sound a bit overly complex! Or maybe I am just a bit simple...... lol

Could we not just make some Apfelwein? Let it ferment out to .990 or so. Add some non fermetable sugar to taste, ie. splenda? Mix, and let settle for another day or 2... (Sweet is not my thing, so I doubt that I sweeten btw....) Then add your dextrose and bottle to carb it up?

I would not say overly complex, just different. Ie, I am not a huge fan of using artificial sweetners in wine and I think a slightly malty flavour from the wart addition might actually work quite well with a cider. So if I was wanting just sugar I might use something like lactose, but I hope to get something different.

Latest posts

Back