Ideal starting SG for full-bodied reds..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
If I am reading these images correctly, the SG readings are 1.092 and 1.090. The first is a Nero d'avola the other cab suav. If I get a final SG of say .996, that will give me two wines well under 13%. Now I have not stirred/mix these batches yet as I have been advised not to do that in the first 24 hours or so after inoculating with yeast (so as to allow the yeast colony to build up). But I added Zante raisins that have probably sunk to the bottom and I wonder if there's sugar in this must that is not being read properly as a result of not mixing it yet. So SG could be higher than 1.092...maybe 1.094 or 1.096.. who knows! Should I give this a good stir/mix? Fermentation has begun (some foaming/cap beginning). I am making this batch from fresh juice. Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 7.42.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-10 at 7.29.28 AM.png

If I am reading these images correctly, the SG readings are 1.092 and 1.090. The first is a Nero d'avola the other cab suav. If I get a final SG of say .996, that will give me two wines well under 13%. Now I have not stirred/mix these batches yet as I have been advised not to do that in the first 24 hours or so after inoculating with yeast (so as to allow the yeast colony to build up). But I added Zante raisins that have probably sunk to the bottom and I wonder if there's sugar in this must that is not being read properly as a result of not mixing it yet. So SG could be higher than 1.092...maybe 1.094 or 1.096.. who knows! Should I give this a good stir/mix? Fermentation has begun (some foaming/cap beginning). I am making this batch from fresh juice. View attachment 93856View attachment 93855
I have the same question all the time. You can measure sugar dissolved in the liquid but there is always some tied up in the solids. It gets released during fermentation but the dissolved sugar is decreasing at the same time! It is forever a mystery!

@Siwash, there is not an "ideal" starting SG for wine. The SG depends on the fruit, the style of wine, and the winemaker's preference. I put the most emphasis on the winemaker's preference, as you're the one drinking it.

If making a lighter wine (red, white, or fruit), I typically target an SG between 1.080 and 1.090. For a heavier white or a dark fruit, the SG range is higher, up to 1.095. For heavy reds, up to 1.100.

Since you're asking opinions, I agree that your SG ranges are fine. If additional fruit bumps the SG up a few points, they're still fine.

Please note my ranges above are personal guidelines, not rigid rules. If the SG is a bit higher, I don't worry about it. I prefer to not go lower than 1.080, but again, it's a guideline, not a rule.

Back