I want to make homemade wine labels, How???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
OK, my wife has decided she would like to make the winelabels for my wine. I really didnt want to get into it, but anything I can do to get and keep her involved would be good. What is the simplest way for me to do this? What programs should I buy, what paper, etc...??? I am going into this not really knowing anything about it. Hate to admit that I am that much of a computer illeterate but I am. Please help. Thanks.

Johnny, I think the label part is the best!!! You can use regular computer paper and a glue stick on the side edges. It works great and they slide right off with a bit of warm water.

As for what program to use, there are many. I suggest your wife starts with "Paint". It's already on your computer under Start (on the lower left)-> All Programs-> Accessories-> Paint. Play there first. You can also create a label in a Word document. Insert pictures, word art, and draw. Have fun with it!

I agree with Joan on the paper and glue stciks, that works great...as for the labels...What does she have in mind????Edited by: Northern Winos

Johnny, for pictures you can go to Allposters.com and copy the picture
you like to a folder on your computer and open it with the paint
program like Joan said and add text from there. If you have a digital
camara alot of camaras come with a program you can use to like
microsoft picture it.

You can also use your own photos on your labels.

It's allll good!

Also... presentation is everything. You may not see the need for a label but if you ever give your wine away to friends and family, they will be impressed with the packaging. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard, "Wow, this looks like real wine!?" Or..."It looks so professional!" Your wife will love it!
Edited by: Joan

Johnny:

Labels are in the eye of the beholder if you ask me...... It also depends on how much time I have and if I feel like it. Some of my better wines that I really like, I don't label at all, I use a black marker and write whats on the bottle (right Wade). Some a won't waste much printer ink on and some I take some effort doing. You can also buy labels, pre made that you just moisten and stick on the bottle. I have done this several times for sheer ease and cost. My printer cartridges (2) cost almost $100 to replace and are doog for about 3 to 5 batches of labels. I can buylabels for a couple of dollars.

George has them: http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdListWELabels.asp

For $3.99, you can't go wrong. You can also tape them to a peice of paper and send them through your printer to put your own info on the label.

Do you live in Oswego? We are always in Central Square when we go to NY (which is quite often). We were just there a few weeks ago, plan on being back there in June. All the New Yorkers need to hook up! We could meet out near Barosco that way Wade and Masta could make it, maybe even stinkie.

If you're asking me, Jobe, no, I don't live in Oswego. (Thank the lord!!!)I'm 40 miles or so west.

Yes, NYers need to get together!!! Sounds like a great plan!

Sorry Joan, I was asking JohnnyK if he was in Oswego.

We should plan something for the summer where everyone can get together, that would be fun, I'd be willing to travel, it's only a days drive away.

Edit: I just found another post of JohhnyK's, He lives in Northern PA.

Still just a 2 hour drive for a get together if he was interested.Edited by: jobe05

We should definetely set something up, Im about 45 minutes away from Brewster just to give you an idea.

Brewster?????

Do you mean Bristol???

Or Masta? As in "He's the Brewster" "Hey Brewster"

OK......... WheresBrewster?

You would be about 2 hours out ofScranton Pa??? Is there any vineyards there?

Edit: I'll be in Manhattan sometime between April and the end of May, thats closer to you Wade.Edited by: jobe05

Brewster NY. is right over the border of Danbury Ct. Im pretty close to Bristol Ct.

How about a mini-Winestock Northeast? There are quite a few of us from the Northeast. Could pick out a somewhat centralized or vacation type area. Maybe somewhere in the Hudson River Appelation, orout near Joan near the Geneva Research Center(Cornell) or even near Burlington Vt. and visit a few wineries near there.

I dont live in Oswego. I live in Northeast Pa. Lakeville. Im not that far from you guys though.

I do have picture it, I will have to have her check out everything that you guys are saying. I guess I do agree that when giving wine away it would definatley look better dressed up. However, to me the most important thing is if the wine is good. If the wine sucks, you can dress it however you want, and noone will remember....LOL.

All you yankees don't forget to make plans to come to Valley Brew's 5th Annual Fine Wine and Great Beer Tasting party this fall! There are two wine trails in CT and I am about 1/2 hour North Stonington, CT on the Eastern Trail.

http://www.ctwine.com/visiting.html

I'm leaning towards a party - er- Wine Tastingat Joans place this summer/fall. It would give me a reason to go visit my brother who lives near Geneva. Lots of vineyards in that territory.

Hey Gang - I'm a Hoosier and only a day's drive from the NY Fingerlakes. If you get ameet & greet event going I'd be interested.

Anyone that can make is very welcome and the more the better.
smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back