I should know this!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
What's the answer? I have a Riesling that started at 1.080 and finished at
.995 giving an ABV of 11.3%. I back sweetened it to 1.000 making a simple syrup using the wine as the liquid. What effect, if any, did this have on the ABV? Thanks!

As I understand it, calculating an alcohol content using S.G. readings is only a close approximation anyway. There are too many factors involved to get an exact reading. Adding a bit of sugar, won't make much difference (presuming you've treated your wine with sorbate and sulfite). If you don't stabilize, adding sugar will likely raise your alcohol level over time.

What's the answer? I have a Riesling that started at 1.080 and finished at .995 giving an ABV of 11.3%. I back sweetened it to 1.000 making a simple syrup using the wine as the liquid. What effect, if any, did this have on the ABV? Thanks!
You increased the volume slightly without increasing the alcohol, so the ABV will have dropped slightly. How much? Do you really care?

Let's say you added 230ml to a 23 litre (23000 ml) kit. That would be 1% of the 11.3%. So it dropped to 11.2%. Hardly worth worrying about. But you didn't add any extra liquid, just the sugar, so probably much less than 230ml.

Hydrometer reading errors, and the factor used in the calculation probably have had a bigger effect.

Steve

Well it is a simple syrup so there was liquid but I agree with cpfan, its so little its almost immeasurable!

Well it is a simple syrup so there was liquid but I agree with cpfan, its so little its almost immeasurable!
Wade:

Flem made the simple syrup with the wine as the liquid.

Steve

Flem, because you had the good sense to use wine for the liquid in your sweetener, the effect on the ABV will be negligible. Withot doing the math, I would say it is easily withing the margin of error of reading a hydrometer and the approximation in using that reading to determine the ABV.

My theory is if you add 6 cups of sugar to 5 gal. it takes either 3 cups of water or use 3 cups of your wine. As much dilution as you will get from them it will probably take an extra 3 sips before you tip over and hit the ground. Don't believe I'll worry much about it. LOL, Arne.

If you use wine to make your simple syrup, heating it, wouldn't that burn off the alcohol anyway?

Geez!
Just saying the amt of alcohol loss would be less than .1%.
Kinda just agreeing with Wade and Steve's posts.

Flem, because you had the good sense to use wine for the liquid in your sweetener, the effect on the ABV will be negligible. Withot doing the math, I would say it is easily withing the margin of error of reading a hydrometer and the approximation in using that reading to determine the ABV.

I don't know about that, Rocky. I think he needs to send each of us a bottle so we can ... how would you say it, "test" it for him. :sm

Kinda rude, wouldn't ya say..........

Mr Zazz, when I first read this post I also thought the same thing. Knowing Tom though he was not being trying to be rude but kind of a smart a$$ that several of us could be accused of from time to time. For the very small amount of wine your using to make the simple syrup would have little effect on the wine if you were to boil it.

The point here though is you do not boil wine to make a simple syrup but just warm it up in the microwave to dissolve the sugar.

Mr Zazz, I agree with above post and lots of us could be accused of this many times in many threads!! Im sorry you took it that way and knowing that Tom knows Flem Im pretty sure Flem knows Tom didnt mean it that way or at least i hope so!!!!!

CPFan, you caught me again not thoroughly reading a post!!!!!:slp:e

We can be a rowdy bunch from time to time, especially those of us who know each other pretty well. :hug

First of all, thanks to all of you for your input. I really appreciate it. I guess the reason for my question was more chemistry related than anything else. Maybe more quantitative than qualitative. I was just curious that, if the volume remained about the same (I know the sugar would add a little) would there be any effect on the ABV. I really don't care how much or how little. There's always enough alcohol to suit me---if not---just drink more. Thanks, mrzazz for your concern, but I've been active enough on this forum to know most of the people and how they typically respond. Tom has helped me as much as anybody else on the forum and I'm not the least bit offended by his comment. The harmless banter that goes on between the members is what makes this forum, by far, the best. Thanks again! Mike :b

Latest posts

Back