I must be doing something wrong with winecalc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I have some sp that is currently at .991 sg. I want it to be 1.02 - semi sweet. Here is what I get on winecalc

winecalc2.jpg

What is out of range here?

I am using windows 7

Thanks

Buster

did you click the little red arrow in the center to tell it to calculate?...just a suggestion...

that should be about 6 oz of sugar I think ... maybe the amount is too little for that calculator to figure?

I have done it several times and clicked on the arrow. I have used some known figures of an example and get the same thing. I am going to figure 1 cup giving me an increase of .018sg per gallon and I need to raise it by an sg of .005. .005/.018=.27. .27 x5= 1.38. Thus for 5 gallons I need 1.38 cups.

that should be about 6 oz of sugar I think ... maybe the amount is too little for that calculator to figure?

In that case, my calculations are off. I have mixed up about 11 ounces but have not added it yet.

Thanks

What happens if you enter 0.997 instead of .997?

I have had the same problem, it just won't take a number less that 1.000 and give you the right answer, sometime I don't even get an answer. Use 1.000 and you will come up a little short on sugar, then ease up on the SpGr you are shooting for.
Semper Fi

You said you are shooting for 1.02. You entered 1.002 for the calculation.
Should need about 2.5 lbs of sugar.

Last edited:
Seven cups of sugar should give you a reading roughly around 1.018. I would do that and then taste it.

wine calc does not like the decimal points. you would need to enter it as 997 opposed to .997. Took me a while to figure that one out. 1.002 would be 1002 etc.

wine calc does not like the decimal points. you would need to enter it as 997 opposed to .997. Took me a while to figure that one out. 1.002 would be 1002 etc.

that gives me 9, I calculated about 10 to 11 ounces. That must be it. I think I may wish my blackbetty sp to be a little sweeter than that, we will see.

Thanks

I have some sp that is currently at .991 sg. I want it to be 1.02 - semi sweet. Here is what I get on winecalc

winecalc2.jpg

What is out of range here?

I am using windows 7

Thanks

Buster

Using fermcalc I get 0.538 lbs to raise SG from 0.997 to 1.002

LOUMIK

that gives me 9, I calculated about 10 to 11 ounces. That must be it. I think I may wish my blackbetty sp to be a little sweeter than that, we will see.

Thanks

I take it removing the decimal places put everything into range? I would go with the 9 that it is recommending then taste and recalculate if needed for the additional quantity. Remember, you can always add more if needed but you cant take it back out.

Back