I get annoyed when people drink big chunk of my wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Rice_Guy What does Acetalaldehyde taste like?
The only time I have had a clean example of it was at the judging training conducted after a winemaker magazine conference. The chemicals used were in a test kit that was produced in Britain.
* at low levels, a pleasing apricot note, mild, mainly on the back of the throat.
* at high levels a harsh burn on the back of the throat, it is a second wave after sweet notes on the tongue, it can be powerful enough to cover fruit aromatics, it should wash out of the mouth faster than a tannin and slower than an acid.
* google would tell me that an average population will pick it up at 100 ppm which is one tenth the detection level for clean ethyl alcohol

A side note, if you get to taste clean example of TCA it is nasty, I had that taste in my mouth for half an hour, (only do that one followed by a break)

I have numerous grades of wine in the cellar, ranging from low end kits, high kits, fruit, and grape. Like many, what bottle I pull out depends on who I'm serving. If they can appreciate my better quality, then I pull that out.

Currently family and friends either appreciate wine or are not wine drinkers, which makes is very simple. In the past, I had acquaintances that would drink anything containing alcohol -- that is also a simple choice. ;)

When I host company I generally try to provide food and libations I think they would enjoy. My invitations don't come with instructions on the proper way to consume what is provided. This whole thread is a bit fishy. Sweet troll Karen.

Last edited:
This whole thread is a bit fishy.
While I can't speak for the OP, overall the responses to this thread are reasonable.

While some of us make cheap booze (I'm drinking last year's 2nd run that cost $0.38 USD/bottle), most of use have a pride of craftsmanship. We put a lot of effort into producing a quality product, we know it's good, and we want our effort to be appreciated. It's human nature.

The cheapest stuff in my house is Carlo Rossi Paisano and Chablis, which I use for cooking and recycle the 4l jugs in my winery. I NEVER feed that to guests -- it's for cooking and I may sip half a glass if I have nothing else open and am too lazy to walk downstairs. The wine I'm drinking now is 5 steps up from that.

I know my audience. If hosting a general party, I bring out my cheapest stuff, as it's still good wine and everyone will enjoy it. People are there to party, not ogle my wine. Same for more intimate gatherings when the attendees don't have a palate for good wine. They are quite happy with what I serve so I've disappointed no one.

If the audience appreciates wine? Ok, then I pull out the good stuff. There is no point in pouring these wines for folks who don't appreciate it.

OTOH, my wife loves Perrier-Jouët champagne. She doesn't drink much and doesn't have a palate for good wine. But she's been at my side for 30+ years, so she gets what she wants! [not that I buy it often -- the price will make your eyes water!]

this is not damm juice.

You have to enjoy it. I put too much effort for this to be swallowed without enjoyment.

I think is disrespectful.

what's your opinion. lol

If they paid for it, how anyone chooses to drink a wine post retail sale is completely the consumer's choice. And beyond your control. Get over it. :cool:

If they did not pay for it, then being a selective snob telling people how to drink your elixir of life is also perfectly okay. After all... they did not pay for it. You can define the terms then (within limits).

But...... Be aware, some people may not be happy with your freedom of pretentiousness. If you are not okay with that, tough. Their freedom of expression against your freedom of pretentiousness should still be no problem. After all, everyone has a right to their opinion. On that level alone, they "sort of" win.

The real solution? Educate them. On various levels (i.e. how to appreciate your wine). Only via education can we move upward from the ground level. As only one example, before anyone even tastes your wine, take 20 minutes to explain to them how to appreciate a fine wine. That is, you have to also maybe take a lot of the time to educate and inform before your critique. :h

Last edited:
the vinters club has a member who runs a winery with a tasting room. Education is a key! However, for selling wine slushees in the tasting room he will go to the local outlet and buy five buck chuck. ,,,, with twelve percent added sugar and flavors everything will taste good.
If they paid for it, how anyone chooses to drink a wine post retail sale is completely the consumer's choice.
But some people may not be happy with your freedom of pretentiousness.
The real solution . . . Educate them.
I usually call a blue ribbon wine “one which the neighbors would pay money for”
a red ribbon wine is “one the neighbors will enjoy, finish and ask for the next bottle”
a white ribbon wine is “one the neighbors don’t finish but the twenty something kids like”

An observation in the food industry, a product targeted for kids has high sweetness and low bitterness, astringency, With an older target market flavors are more complex, ,,,,, just perhaps we wait for the taste buds to get old and need more stimulation.

Latest posts

Back