I get annoyed when people drink big chunk of my wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say its good. Your people like it? Encourage them to drink all of it.

Unless you want to drink all of your own production,in the dark, alone, let your people enjoy and come back for more. Wine making isn't about hoarding.

that is a huge reason to make skeeter pee maxed out on EC-1118 yeast, i believe everyone can enjoy in there own ways, that being said ,,, i do not bulkage a wine for 2 years before bottling to have anyone slam it down ,,, so those just looking to get buzzed, well they get my skeeter pee port, and i save my other wines for people that sip and enjoy what's in their glass,,,, i know traditional wine makers are a different type of vintner then a country vintner,,, but i pour as much love and heart into my country wines as any other person, and i take great pride in what i can do,,,, not prideful, but humbly proud of what i craft,
Dawg

I guess the problem may be viewed as one of education. If you expect to have a pleasurable experience drinking a wine while inhaling the aromas and tasting the flavors then you are less likely to swill the wine down as if it's water. And if you have no idea that good wine has pleasurable mouthfeel, aromas and flavors then swallowing it like a cheap mass-produced lager might make perfect sense.

It's no one's fault that some folk have no idea how to enjoy something that they may never have thought about anymore than it is no one's fault if they don't know how to use chopsticks (or a knife and fork). Of course, if they drink wine as if it's water and the wine is 12% or 14% ABV then you may want to advise them that each glass is the equivalent of a couple of beers and a couple of glasses chugged down may affect their ability to safely control chain saws, snow blowers and other motorized tools and vehicles.

We have (pre-covid) family gatherings at our house of 25 people or so a few times a year. I know which family members can and cannot appreciate a wine experience; wanting to know what went into making it and the nuances of the flavors. There are others that like something sweet and cold. That is why I have my defensive wines, like Skeeter Pee, Dragons blood and Rose. They are fine and they really enjoy them. But, they just don't have as much effort and expense as my four year old Bordeaux's.

My opinion is to let friends enjoy drink the way they want.
Tastes differ for sure but.. having friends is the best drink of all hope I didn’t offend
I have an EX in Texas who would drink/ self medicate enough to keep a buzz, ,,, (and did AA etc)
seems that the Bible mentioned that we should serve the best wine before they have a buzz when they can taste it and start serving the easy to make stuff after they have a buzz. ,,,, ie why waste it?

I understood the scripture was about saving the best for last. Parable Old Testament vs New Testament.
Not so much about wine as about religion “Old Testament” vs relationship “New Testament”.
I’m just giving a humble opinion but I bet there are many opinions out there.
No argument from me- serve your God and your wine as seems right to you.
Or not. smile

I sure get that and hope that some day I might learn enough from guys like Rice Guy to make a really fine wine. At this point however I am on the “sometimes not so well” side of things.
I feel blessed when I have friends come and lift a glass with me. “That’s my point” I make the wine and I feel it’s my responsibility as to who and how much I serve it. If I have a friend who I know can’t handle “the drink” I won’t uncork another bottle. To me, my friends are much more important than my wine good or in my case not so great.

I sure get that and hope that some day I might learn enough from guys like Rice Guy to make a really fine wine. At this point however I am on the “sometimes not so well” side of things.
I feel blessed when I have friends come and lift a glass with me. “That’s my point” I make the wine and I feel it’s my responsibility as to who and how much I serve it. If I have a friend who I know can’t handle “the drink” I won’t uncork another bottle. To me, my friends are much more important than my wine good or in my case not so great.

that dog will hunt

Dawg

I would say I am on the learning curve too, most of what I make is country wine and the quality improved so I can ribbon in contest when I started to run high with the metabisulphite treatment.
For small tanks/ carboys my guess is most of us have oxygen issues. Judging state fair fruit wines, ,, a little over half the time I taste acetaldehyde.

I went to the local brew clubs monthly meeting a few years ago and brought a bottle of what I thought was my best wine to date. After the business part of the meeting everyone started drinking samples of beer and getting drunk. One guy saw my bottle and poured a good 12 oz and drank it like it was a cold beer on a hot day. All he said was: that was good what was it? I realized you don’t take wine to the brew club meeting. I also have an alcoholic friend who drinks wine like water, doesn’t bother because he’s a friend and my wine is inexpensive.

this is not damm juice.

You have to enjoy it. I put too much effort for this to be swallowed without enjoyment.

I think is disrespectful.

what's your opinion. lol
Just get some of the cheapest box wine from the store. Put it in your bottles. Now you have something to give them that took very little effort! And, I bet those type of folks won't even know the difference :sp

Latest posts

Back