I don't think my Muscadine vines are growing near fast enough

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I planted 2 noble's and 2 carlo's in my backyard that does not get lots of sun. I did it just for fun with no expectation of many grapes. The vines were 2 years old as I remember, about 2 feet long above the roots. I planted them last April.

Two of them died while I was away for a couple of months. I did fertilize them abut 3 times before I left. I have not fertilized them since I got back.

ONe of them has grown up to a wire about 2 1/2 feet above ground and I have two vines now going out about 8 to 12 inches in either direction.

The other has grown about 5 feet a in one direction to an upper wire.

I have been cutting off shoots. I know I should have fertilized them and will a couple of times before late fall.

LIke I say, they do get full sun but only for about 4 hours (I am guessing).

Should I expect more growth.

I've killed young muscadine vines with fertilizer. It's possible that the growth is occurring underground. They spend some time developing a root system. When you were gone, did they not get enough water?
After suggesting these possibilities, I have to say that the lack of sunlight is most likely the problem. When you're forcing the vines to grow up, try removing buds before they even have a chance to become shoots. Rub the bud off, but leave the leaf. The other thing I'd say is, you don't want a muscadine on a wire 2 or 3 feet off the ground. You'll have to get a mechanic's creeper to pick them. I have mine about eyebrow height. That may not be feasible for a lot of people, but I wouldn't have the wire lower than chest height. If they do start growing and putting out 6 or 8 foot shoots by July, you'll see the uselessness of the low wire pretty quickly. Also, spraying weeds without getting spray on the foliage is tough if the shoots are on the ground. And you won't get air circulation.
You should fertilize in late spring and early summer. Fertilizing in the fall encourages growth when the plants should be trying to harden off and getting ready to go dormant for winter.

Thanks. I will have the lower vine grow up to the upper wire. Thanks for the info

Back