humidifiers?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west_end

Reaction score
My in ground basement makes a great wine cellar in the winner but the humidity is at 40%. In the summer, when the humidity is higher, I might have to install a small air conditioner to keep the temperature down. This will lower the humidity also.

Does anyone use a portable humidifier to help raise the humidity in their cellar? Unfortunately it looks like the water capacity for these portable units only last for 24 hours.

Any suggestions on what I should get?

I just read this on Wikipedia
Alexis Lichine contends as a way of maintaining optimal humidity recommends spreading half an inch of gravel on the floor of a wine cellar and periodically sprinkling it with some water.

That's interesting, Has anyone tried this?

In the summer your humidity would be higher so you would need to lower it not raise it. A humidifier will lower your humidity and yes I use one in the summer.

Julie so you are saying that the humidity in the summer might be to high and the running of the air conditioner will bring it down to acceptable levels?

aircraft onditioner or a humidifier will lower the humidity

I think Julie has her head stuck in an aircraft. Bet she really's going to love spell check when she rereads her post. A humidifier will add humidity and a DEhumidifier will remove it just like air conditioning will.

I think Julie has her head stuck in an aircraft. Bet she really's going to love spell check when she rereads her post. A humidifier will add humidity and a DEhumidifier will remove it just like air conditioning will.

Thanks Dan, I did not want to have to say it!

I have often wondered if the humidity was that critical in my cellar I vary about 20% throughout the year however have never had an issue with any bottle since I built my cellar about 10 years ago.

it must have been that dam glass of welch's wine I had last night!!!!

Back