Southern Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony49

Reaction score
Well, the wine that is.
Generally I maintain my home temp at 78 degrees in summer and 74 in winter.
I understand that this is not optimal for aging wine. Unfortunately due to the water table, there is no option for a cellar.
I'd like to ask the members who have 'been there done that' what they have found the optimal solution for the problem, taking cost into consideration.
Options I have found. (here)
Used refrigerator with a Johnson controller.
Used freezer with a Johnson controller. Preferably a stand up.
Used dedicated wine cooler. Generally have a max capacity of 30 bottles.
The reason I stress used is because of cost.
I understand the issue has been touched on before (search) but I would especially like to hear from anyone who is using the first option and if it meets their requirements and expectations.
Many thanks.
Tony

If you only have an inventory of 30 bottles I would go with a small wine cooler. They have some pretty nice ones out there these days that will hold ~50 bottles for ~$200-250. Look at Costco or Sam's or even the big box hardware stores for a good deal.

Thanks Ib.
Generally the used wine coolers are going for $50- $100. Their capacity is in the range of 30 bottles.
I plan a larger inventory.

If in the end you can't buy what you need, you can just accept the higher temperatures. It will age your wines a little faster and possibly they won't taste as fruity as otherwise; maybe if a real pro tasted them, they might be able to tell the difference.

I guess the big issue is that you will not want to try to age any long-term-ageable, single batch more than maybe 2/3's of what they are meant to age. Example: something that should be able to age 5 years, you might drink it in about 3.5 to 4 years. However, I am sure there are those out there who have aged longer in those same temperatures and got by with it just fine.

Thanks Robie. Appreciate your insight.
Perhaps just putting it in the closet is the way to go. Longest I've aged wine is two years. That was in New Jersey.
Moved to Florida and started drinking beer.
Checked Sams Club, and anything that holds more than 30 bottles is a bit over my budget for the present. No Costco in the area.
Hoping to hear from someone thats done the fridge/controller thing.
I have a friend thats willing to part with a decent fridge for fifty bucks.
Tony...

Tony, You could store it in my basement, 62* winter 68* summer, & I'm only 650 mi. from you & make the trip 4 times a year. Only problem is there is a VERY high "evaporation rate" in my basement! Roy

You have a basement!! I'd give a couple bottles just to smell a basement again.:(
Who Knows, maybe I'll find a basement when I check out properties in S.C..
Anyway, you have all the peach you need. Matter of fact, my next batch will be named "Roys Peach", thank you.
:b

Something you might consider is if you have a small room in your house that you put a small 110 volt air conditioner and just keep that room colder then the rest of the house

Jtstar, that's what I'm planning on doing. Tony knows I'm planning to move to his area from the Ga. Mtns. I will change a 3rd bedroom to a dedicated Winery Room. SS sink, fermenting closet [warmer] and a Mitsubitsi [can't spell] type single room AC. Though a window AC would do the same thing. Roy FightingTown Creek Wines

Hehehehe.......

We have a good friend that has offered several times now the use of his basement (58 degrees year round) in his retirement house on the river up in Creed, CO about 3 hours drive North. This guy can put away a bottle in nothing flat and he always seems to know which wine was the most $$$ on the table if there are a couple open. I think there would be the same evap problem in his basement somehow....... :dg

Tony, You could store it in my basement, 62* winter 68* summer, & I'm only 650 mi. from you & make the trip 4 times a year. Only problem is there is a VERY high "evaporation rate" in my basement! Roy

Something you might consider is if you have a small room in your house that you put a small 110 volt air conditioner and just keep that room colder then the rest of the house
Yeah...I'll have to consider that for my S.C. move.
Right now I'm in a 2/2 and Mom says she ain't sleeping in a cold room. ;)
I will change a 3rd bedroom to a dedicated Winery Room.
I was meaning to ask what you were going to do for your winery when you moved. Makes sense.
Most everyone in S.W. Florida uses the garage as a basement.
Tony...

I also have no crawl space/basement. I have a fridge in my garage that I keep my wine in during the summer months. The $50 controller does a fine job of keeping it at 55 degrees. No idea what I pay for the electricity, but the bill is never high. The daytime temps here average 85 in the summer and drop to 55 degrees at night so it doesnt run much. I'll move it inside during the winter and keep it in a spare room. It'll freeze solid otherwise.

Many thanks Maddog.
Thats just what I was looking for, an actual users experience.
Because of my location, I'll probably have it running most of the year.
Happily, the guy thats selling it will help me move it.
Tony...

One question just burped up Maddog:
Can you also use the freezer section for ageing or does it maintain a much colder temp?
Thanks,
T...

The freezer seems much colder than the main section of the fridge. They must run on seperate thermostats. It doesnt seem to be below 32 F though. I'll put a thermometer in there today and let you know in a couple hours.

Looks like the freezer works normally. It ran just under 32 F. The good new is I suppose you could keep frozen fruit in there for your next batch, but storing wine is probably a no go.

Thanks for researching this for me Maddog.
Using the freezer portion for fruit makes good sense.
Most likely an upright freezer would be ideal to mod for an aging closet.
Cheers!
Tony...

Back