Huckleberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud

Unfunny
Reaction score
I have located 4 huckleberry plants on our property. Two of them are scrawny little things, about 6" high, and growing in the worst soil. The others are each about 18" high, in much better conditions, and much healthier. It's fascinating what just grows out there.

Showed some friends who were up fishing. About 5 minutes into the tour of the wild plants in that area (raspberries, blackberries, elderberries, huckleberries and strawberries) I noticed the looks on their faces. Not sure if explaining leaf shape and texture was more embarrassing, or if it was bit about the color of the dirt and likely nutrient content.

A glance at Mrs. Mud told the whole story, so I muttered something like "Sorry. Guess I'm doing it again." and showed them where to fish.

I need a hobby from my hobby. Actually, to be honest, knowing our place that well is very satisfying. They'll just have to get used to it.

Used to be we had lots of huckleberries and even wild blueberries growing around our little town. That was 45 years ago. I can remember as a kid having to go with my mom and dad to pick huckleberries for a cobbler or pie.
Now I'm not sure where you would find any.
The farmers and other large land owners usually burn the property at least every other year to have new grass for the cattle, so a plant hasn't much time to get very big.
By the way Mud, what part of Pa are you in. My father's family are all up there in Pa.
Out of East Stroudsburg you head North on 402. Takes you to a small town, Pecks Pond. My grandfather had an old inn there in the National Forest. I haven't been up there in over 40 years.

Yep, found it in my "dream book". :h
My old trusty road atlas. I like looking at all the lines I've put on her pages from rides on the motorcycle.

Back