Howdy Wine Makers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROOT

Bold Novice
Reaction score
I have came across your community a few times via Google and finally took the time to join.
I have made a few batches in my time but by no means profess to be an expert, but I have made enough mistakes to learn a few don'ts.
starting in my teens I made a batch of elderberry wine with baking yeast and a condom imitating what I saw my uncle do. that turned out very sweet ,probibly cause I didn't let it finish or rack it off at all, LOL.

made another batch in my twenties and got lazy didn't remove all the little stems, thank God it was so disgusting that we couldn't drink it, now that I know I had fermented the cellulose and could have gone blind from drinking methanol (wood alcohol), the batch didn't go to waste though I *******ed it out on the stove top using a coffee can and vinyl tubing and then used it for cleaning fluid and paint thinner.

Fast Forward 28 years to a surplus of bananas from the back yard I decided it was time to make some more Wine the banana was excellent although I let it cook to dry and with EC-1118 I kept adding sugar and it would start fermenting again till it was quite potent, It did not take as long to clear as I was told and by the majic of CLARIFIERS was very pretty. My good buddy had a loaded tree of Loquat and wanted in on the action so we made up a batch of that too and it turned out subline, My friend and I have made a batch of Loquat (Japanese plum) wine each year for the past 4 it had always been very good but never has match that first year were I had a quart of peach syrup to add to the lot.
Last year we really bumped up the numbers and made 35 gallons but alas we messed it up from the start Unfortunately I had to leave before proceeding to the yeast and left it with the pectic enzyme to long , even though it was drinkable and everyone loved it I could never get past that subtle bad taste so we took the majority of it to a Legal *******er and he cooked it off for us hoping that we would get rid of the foul taste in the head shots and tails but even though we ran it through twice and got about 160 proof it still had that funk.

Well its that time of year again, its been dry but there is fruit on the trees and we are gonna do it again without previous errors. and I have a new one to try that I will start a new topic on to ask advice.

Welcome to the forum, Root. Where are you located with "bananas from the back yard" and "fruit on the trees" in Mid February? Just curious.

Thank you , sorry didn't know that the D word was a bad word here:D , I know its not legal without a permit. Just trying to do a readers digest of my experience. and got moderated on my first post :h

Latest posts

Back