How much do raisins add to ABV?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyiswine

Reaction score
Any idea how much the ABV is raised by adding raisins to the ferment? I added 30 ounces of regular sunmaid raisins to a 6 gallon batch and I can do the math to find out how much sugar is in the raisins but since the sugar is all tied up in the raisins it seems like getting an accurate starting SG is impossible. Any ideas?

Sounds like you added two boxes of raisins, right? I usually add a box and the SG goes up anywhere from .003-.006, so I might get an increase of 0.4% to 0.8% ABV. Your best bet for accuracy is to ferment it out and then determine the ABV.

Could you add the raisins and let them sit for 24 hours before adding your yeast; then take a reading just before pitching?

Sounds like you added two boxes of raisins, right? I usually add a box and the SG goes up anywhere from .003-.006, so I might get an increase of 0.4% to 0.8% ABV. Your best bet for accuracy is to ferment it out and then determine the ABV.

Rocky I am not sure the weight of a box of raisins since the ones I added came in a bag but I do know it was 30oz total. All was added to a 6 gallon batch. When you said one box raised the SG by the amount quoted abov, what size batch is that?

Regarding my original question I basically added 340g of sugar when I added the raisins to my 6 gallon batch. So how much of an increase in alcohol is that?

Last edited:
Looking at the nutrition facts on the box of Sun Maid my 2 year old grandson is eating right now. Serving size 1/4 cup ( 40g ) = 29g of sugar.

Back