How many carboys is too many?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many carboys is too many?

• That is too many carboys for any one wine maker.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just starting this hobby: So 2 x 3gallons, 9 x 1gallon and 1 old style from a antiques store just under a gallon.

Probably close to my limit - though 2 x 5gallons would be handy some time soon.

I have way more wine going than I can drink. I thought that was the goal?? The only way I could have any age for more than a month or two is to have plenty on hand. Besides the empty carboys look so lonesome to me!!

I've got 5 23L Carboys, which is enough for me at the moment, but I can easily see that being not enough in the future.

Well I have 28 6 gallon, 6 5gallon, 3 3gallon, and 4 1gallon carboys. 21 are fermenting or aging now.
That's NOTHING. I have a member of my wine club has 45 6 galolon carboys FULL / aging.

I'm getting tired of all the glass and room these things take up, I'm thinking go in bulk, do 30 and 55 gallon drums. I could not imagine having 45 6gals, thats alot. I'd hate to have to wash all those at once

I'm getting tired of all the glass and room these things take up, I'm thinking go in bulk, do 30 and 55 gallon drums. I could not imagine having 45 6gals, thats alot. I'd hate to have to wash all those at once
No kidding. Your house would look like a carboy warehouse. I would probably be single as well.
:sn Happy Holidays, Steve

I think Carlo Rossi jugs are great. Perfect size for experimental batches.
The wine that comes with the jug isn't much good for more than cooking with but the glass makes it worth it.
Deciding if you have too many isn't that hard. How many out of your carboys are currently empty? When more are empty than full then it's too many and you need to get them filled then it won't be too many any longer.

I have way to many but way to many is never enough cause I just can never get around to bottling 1/2 this wine in time before I really need to start something else that is running very low or already out on the shelve of something that goes fast which usually resorts to having to get another carboy. With my Black Currant bushes in Im thinking I may have to resort to a 100 or 150 liter variable capacity tank now for that.

Back