how long to wait after rain to harvest?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annefre

Junior
Reaction score
I dont think we will be able to start harvest before rain comes. Does anyone know how long after it has rained I should wait before havesting the grapes?

Rained here yesterday. We picked muscadines today. Got a little wet at first, but other than that.....I don't know of any reason you can't go ahead right after the rain.

I would wait until the sugar levels return to what they were or higher. Rain will make the Brix levels drop. I actually just learned this a few weeks ago myself. Im not sure but would assume that PH and TA levels would also be effected by this dilution.

Wade is right about this, however conditions beyond your control may dictate your actions. The rain if heavy, will lower the brix and raise pH and lower TA. The lower acid may be a welcome addition, but it depends on the numbers before and after the rain. You may also need to consider disease pressure. I have been having to harvest regardles of heavy rains. I had gotten hail on the 13th causing some weak spots in some grapes. This let some botrytis in the vineyard and the rains have been spreading it. I realize the numbers haven't been perfect, but harvesting a crop less than ideal is better than having it all rot soon.

Thank you! Yes, I just have to hope that the grapes are not attacked by botrytis or other damagin moulds and be careful in sorting.

This wouldn't necessarily always stand true if you've been experiencing drought like conditions would it? We haven't had rain here for sometime and the muscadines were less juicy than normal. The past 2 or 3 days we have had a nice steady rain which seems to have brought out the flavor and juice in the grape. The flavor is less condensed now and they seem to explode with wonderful deliciousness in your mouth.

This wouldn't necessarily always stand true if you've been experiencing drought like conditions would it? We haven't had rain here for sometime and the muscadines were less juicy than normal. The past 2 or 3 days we have had a nice steady rain which seems to have brought out the flavor and juice in the grape. The flavor is less condensed now and they seem to explode with wonderful deliciousness in your mouth.

David you had rain on your end of the state we didn't get as much rain as you all we had rain (drizzle) on thursday but none since thats why they were sooo good lol you keep forgetting we're not that close to each other

Personally I cant see some rain bringing out any flavors in the grapes but Im not the person to ask here as far as grapes and growing.

I thought you had more rain than that. But I was right about one thing. They do explode with wonderful deliciousness in your mouth. :db

you just like them wouldn't matter if they had been on the ground a few days you'd brush them off and eat away LOL but I gotta admit they are good

Latest posts

Back